Watch Varun Grover Take On The Times When Comedy Is Needed The Most
"The worst time is the best time for comedy."
Speaking on the topic ‘comedy of dissent’ at the India Today Conclave, Masaan and Aisi Taisi Democracy fame comedian and screenwriter Varun Grover said that though he is hopeful about the present and the future of comedy in India, the last couple of years have been a bit tricky for the comedians.
“Why are we talking about comedy of dissent in 2016? I have been writing comedy for last 11 years but now people call me brave for doing so. Such is the situation,” said Grover. “Great jokes are those that offend and yet please at some personal level. It offends and amuses at the same time. That can happen only when you take on the establishment.”
Strolling on the stage, he took a jibe at the current state of politics and society in his deadpan alternative comedy style. From Bal Narendra to Rahul Gandhi--none were spared.
"These are the bad times for comedians as they don't know what to write up on. The actual piece of news is so hilarious in itself that it needs no padding," he said. Commenting on the Dadri incident he said "in other countries, when such crimes take place, the body of the deceased is sent to forensic labs for tests. But here, just imagine, a man has been killed and police walks into the house only to access the meat that lies cold in the fridge which is then sent for forensic test.
"What joke do I make here, tell me?"
The video is a must-watch:
- Unnao Rape Victim, Set Ablaze By Men Accused Of Raping Her, Dies In Delhi
- 'Law Has Done Its Duty': Telangana Police On Killing Rape-Murder Accused
- Assembly Elections 2020: Does Arvind Kejriwal Have The X-Factor To Defend Delhi?
- Open Letter | Is This The Justice You Wanted, Ms Bachchan?
- IND Vs WI, 1st T20I: Kohli Rejects Entertainer Tag, Pollard Rues Execution
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- 2nd Phase Voting Begins In Jharkhand, CM Raghubar Das Faces Ex-Colleague
- ‘Had British Behaved Like T'gana Police, They'd Have Shot Bhagat Singh’
- 'More Than Meets The Eye': Ex-Top Cop Raises Questions On T'gana Encounter
- Child Rape Convicts Should Not Have Right To File Mercy Petition: President
- Uttar Pradesh: Woman Shot In Face After She Stops Dancing At Wedding
- In Valley That Lives Under Shadow Of Gun, Getting Education Is Toughest Lesson
- Day After Being Set On Fire, Unnao Rape Survivor Extremely Critical
- Caroline Wozniacki To Retire After 2020 Australian Open