Video: Don't Show It To The Khaps
A video "10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman" posted by Street HarassmentVideo has notched up over 10.5 million views in less than two days of being posted on YouTube.
The video, which starts with a woman putting on a hidden camera, says "10 hours of silent walking through all areas of Manhattan wearing jeans and a crewnecked t-shirt", the woman experienced more than 100 instances of verbal street harassment from people from varied backgrounds, not counting the winks and whistles.
Recently, in Haryana, after a Chief Minister of the BJP with an RSS background took over, the Hindu Mahasabha had passed a diktat asking girls not to wear jeans or to use cell phones, saying these led to rapes and sexual harassment.
Hanna Rosin in the Slate: The Problem With That Cat-Calling Video:
As Roxane Gay tweeted, “The racial politics of the video are fucked up. Like, she didn’t walk through any white neighborhoods?”
The video is a collaboration between Hollaback, an anti-street harassment organization, and the marketing agency Rob Bliss Creative. At the end they claim the woman experienced 100-plus incidents of harassment “involving people of all backgrounds.” Since that obviously doesn’t show up in the video, Bliss addressed it in a post. He wrote, “We got a fair amount of white guys, but for whatever reason, a lot of what they said was in passing, or off camera,” or was ruined by a siren or other noise. The final product, he writes, “is not a perfect representation of everything that happened.” That may be true but if you find yourself editing out all the catcalling white guys, maybe you should try another take.
- PM Modi Will Set Up Panel To Look Into Issue Of Simultaneous Polls, Says Rajnath Singh
- Shikhar Dhawan's World Cup Campaign Ends, India Want Rishabh Pant As Replacement
- Bihar Encephalitis Death Toll Rises To 113; SC To Hear Plea Calling For Experts' Team To Treat Kids
- 'Credible Evidence' Linking Saudi Crown Prince To Jamal Khashoggi's Murder: UN Expert
- CWC 2019, NZ Vs SA: Morris' Twin-Strike Leaves NZ (94/4) In Trouble
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- Acute Encephalitis Syndrome: All You Need To Know About Possible Causes And Symptoms
- Pakistanis Only Hearing 'Depressing' News, Even In Cricket: Pak Chief Justice
- As Debate On 'One Nation, One Election' Rages, Here's What Law Commission Recommended
- WATCH | Ramdas Athawale's Comment On Congress, 'Modi Wave' Evokes Laughter In Lok Sabha
- From Chelsea To Liverpool: Northeast's Different Ways Of Celebrating Their Favourite Club's victory
- 'Dragged Me Out, Tried To Break My Phone': Ex-Miss India After Being Attacked In Kolkata
- Railways Plans To Reduce Delhi-Howrah, Delhi-Mumbai Travel Time By 5 Hours
- Sri Lanka's First Satellite 'Ravana-1' Successfully Launched Into Orbit