'Vedanta Brain And Islam Body'
Pratap Bhanu Mehta in the Indian Express has a brilliant article on What Vivekananda Valued , arguing that his underlying sensibility was open, self-confident and governed by the belief that humanity needs wider circles of identification to transcend narrow identities::
He directed India towards a liberality by reminding us that it was god’s job to protect us, not ours to protect our gods. The distinction of Indian nationalism was precisely that it never saw the nation as the highest embodiment of value. With the condescension of hindsight it is too easy to dismiss this project as either disembodied idealism, or worse still, an assertion of Indian superiority. But embedded in it was the radical idea that India means nothing if it is not going to be a source of alternative values. There is a recognition of pluralism, but not one that sacrifices truth. “We want to lead mankind to a place where there is neither the Vedas, nor the Bible, nor the Koran, yet this has to be done by harmonising the Vedas, the Bible, the Koran.” Whatever one may think of this project, the idea that each tradition could reach to some place outside itself, by working through all traditions, was a sign of intellectual ambition that is now all but lost.
Again, in hindsight, Vivekananda has been read as progenitor masculinity in politics; and he has certainly been appropriated that way. His claim that “for our motherland, a conjunction of the two great systems, Hinduism and Islam — Vedanta Brain and Islam Body is the only hope” has been tirelessly misinterpreted. This quotation is prefaced by two striking claims “Practical Advaitism, which looks upon and behaves to all mankind as one’s own soul, was never developed amongst the Hindus.” And “if any religion approached equality in any appreciable manner it was Islam and Islam alone.” The reference to Islamic body is not to an ideal of power; it is to the central idea of equality.
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- Narendra Modi To Take Oath As PM For Second Term On May 30
- PM Modi Says Next 5 Years Are To Regain India's Lost Position In World
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- ICC CWC 2019, IND Vs PAK: Inzamam-ul-Haq Makes Huge Statement Ahead Of Big Clash
- How Can The Opposition Pick Itself Up From This Shattering Defeat?
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- Pak PM Imran Khan Calls PM Modi, Expresses Desire To Work Together
- Rafale Deal: No Question Of FIR Or CBI Probe, Centre Tells SC
- Aide Shot Dead, Smriti Irani Reaches Amethi, Shoulders Body To Cremation
- ICC CWC 2018: There Are At Least Five Clear Favourites, Says Legendary Jonty Rhodes
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- CBI Summons Ex-Kolkata Commissioner Rajeev Kumar In Saradha Chit Fund Scam
- Photo Of Newly Elected MP And His Former Boss Cross-Saluting Each Other Goes Viral
- What BJP's Win In Jammu Means For Kashmir Valley