The Truth Behind 'Al-Qaeda Booklets' At Amit Shah's Rally In Kolkata
Al-Qaeda booklets seen at BJP President Amit Shah's rally in Kolkata (WB) earlier today pic.twitter.com/S0nq0MMihW— ANI (@ANI_news) November 30, 2014
Two suspects detained by WB police for involvement in distribution of Al-Qaeda booklets during Amit Shah's rally in Kolkata— ANI (@ANI_news) November 30, 2014
Reading the above tweets, one would be justified in assuming that not only were some mishcief makers distributing 'Al-Qaeda booklets' at Amit Shah's Kolkata rally on Nov 30, but that the police were already on the case with suspects being detained.
What makes the whole thing mystifying for anyone who can read Bengali is that the photo of the 'Al-Qaeda' booklet' that was tweeted as evidence actually makes it clear that far from being 'Al Qaeda' booklets, they seem to be actually the usual BJP/RSS propaganda:
"Bharot ke korbo Islamic Rashtro.
Borkha-dhor, Borkha, madrasa o dhormer araale phish phish shabdhaan. Kii shekhaano hoye? Ei boi porun o poraan."
This translates to:
"Will make India an Islamic State
Beware of the burqa-clad, burqas, madrasaa and whispers behind the veil of religion. What is being taught there? Read this book and make others read it too."
You will notice that while the first line says that Al-Qaeda wants to make India an Islamic State, the last portion doesn't at all seem like something Al-Qaeda would say about themselves. Or would it?
Why would they want to warn people against madrasas or burqas?
The last portion makes it seem as if the booklet has been published by those who want to perpetuate stereotypes, by those who want to prove that Islamic seminaries are breeding grounds of terror and by those who want to ghettoise those who wear burqas just because they dress differently.
In other words, it seems like a simple case of Islamophobia, where the name of a terror group is used only to drive the idea home and to inflame feelings of mistrust towards a community.
What makes it even more problematic is that senior BJP leaders are quoted as saying:
It only goes to show how these terrorists are under TMC's protection: Rahul Sinha,WB BJP Prez on Al-Qaeda booklets seen at Amit Shah's rally— ANI (@ANI_news) November 30, 2014
Police must investigate the case and catch the culprits: Rahul Sinha,WB BJP President pic.twitter.com/5aQzOBbsKk— ANI (@ANI_news) November 30, 2014
It shows how much jehadi activists have penetrated into WB: Siddharth Nath Singh, BJP on Al-Qaeda booklets seen at Amit Shah's rally— ANI (@ANI_news) November 30, 2014
If not Siddharth Nath Singh, surely the WB BJP President should be able to read the Bangla cover at least, if not the entire booklet?
Yes, we too would love to know who the 'culprits' in this case are and whether the police actually investigate the case and catch them.
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Take Stroll, Attend Cultural Performances In Mamallapuram
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' Tripura & Other North-East Units
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Awarded To Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- Chinese Flags Burnt In Guwahati As Xi Jinping Arrives In India
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- 'Shame On Us': Aparna Sen Tweets To 'Madam CM' Over Bengal Murders
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab