The Subramanian Swamy Files
Yesterday, Dr Subramanian Swamy announced the merger of his Janata Party with the Bharatiya Janta Party ahead of the 2014 general elections.
This is what he had to say about the party in 2000 in a signed article in the Frontline: The RSS Gameplan, which ran with the introduction: A disillusioned and dispirited RSS has set the ball rolling for mid-term general elections in which it hopes that the BJP will gain an absolute majority and implement the Hindutva agenda, and concluded with:
The RSS game plan also has proposals to bridle the electoral system. Adult suffrage is out, but furthermore, the electoral college for the Lok Sabha will not vote for candidates, but for parties under a List System. Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) will be used in all the constituencies. Perhaps it is then easier to rig the outcome. After all, in the 1999 general elections, the BJP and its allies won 34 out of the 45 Lok Sabha constituencies which had EVMs. On that ratio, the NDA should have won 405 se ats of the 544 Lok Sabha constituencies and not 292. EVMs have to be programmed by an engineer to tabulate the votes in its memory. It can easily be programmed to transfer votes of one candidate to another, or one party to another. The EVMs are entirely unsafeguarded today. I suspect it was rigged in the 1999 general elections.
The RSS game plan is thus ready. Only the D-Day for the blitzkrieg is to be determined. Since it appears that the RSS has already been generating momentum on religious fundamentalist issues (for example, Gujarat's Ram temple) and raised the fanatical emo tional temperature (chasing of Christian missionaries), my guess is that this campaign will be taken to a fever pitch by November 9, 2001 (the 1986 date for shilanyas) and then mid-term elections will be called.
Prime Minister Vajpayee will as usual waffle and wobble, but he will not resist. That is his nature; he is a mask for the RSS, as Commissar Govindacharya had once said.
Of course, the good news is that the game plan can fail. I live on the hope that in India, no well-laid plan ever works. India, after all, is a functioning anarchy. That has been the undoing of every attempt to straitjacket its society. That is why we ar e still the longest continuing unbroken civilisation of over 10,000 years. The RSS is, luckily, our counter-culture. The vibrations of Mother India will, I hope, be its undoing.
This was of course after he had engineered the fall of the Vajpayee government in 1999: "It Was A Gigantic Managerial Exercise"
- Sensex Slumps 670 Points, Nifty Falls Below 10,850 As Oil Prices Shoot Up
- On His 69th Birthday, PM Modi Says Article 370 Abrogation Was Sardar Patel's Vision
- 'Betrayal,' Says Mayawati After 6 BSP MLAs Jump Ship To Join Congress In Rajasthan
- New Foreign Funding Rule: Now NGO Staff Have To Declare No Role In Religious Conversion
- Balraj Sahni’s Political Ideology Had An Impact On His Career, Says Son Parikshat
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- On His 69th Birthday, PM Modi Meets His Mother In Gandhinagar
- PM Modi Didn’t Ask For Zakir Naik’s Extradition, Claims Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad
- Seat-Sharing Row: BJP Unwilling To Follow 50:50 Formula With Ally Shiv Sena In Maharashtra
- 'Social Fabric Being Attacked': Cong Slams BJP Govt After Dalit Youth Burnt Alive In UP
- India Women Team Cricketer Approached To Fix Matches: Report
- Ranu Mondol Must Heed Lata Mangeshkar’s Advice If She Wants Enduring Success
- Chandrababu Naidu Demands CBI Probe Into Death Of Ex-AP Speaker Who Allegedly Committed Suicide
- World Championships: Dipa Karmakar's Tokyo Olympics Dreams Fade