'The Stalkers: Amit Shah’s Illegal Surveillance Exposed'
In a press-conference today, Cobrapost and Gulail played the above video, reportedly based on hundreds of recorded telephonic conversations made by suspended Gujarat IPS officer G.L. Singhal, an accused in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan murder case, which are said to have been handed over to the CBI.
This story is about the misuse of police machinery and powers of the State by a top minister in the Gujarat government to stalk a young woman from Bangalore, subjecting her to constant surveillance for reasons not immediately apparent.
Gujarat IPS officer G.L. Singhal, who is an accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case (Ishrat was killed, along with three others, by Gujarat Police in 2004) and out on bail, has handed over hundreds of recorded telephonic conversations to the CBI revealing how three key wings of the Gujarat Police—the State Intelligence Bureau, also known as CID Intelligence, the Crime Branch and the Anti-Terrorist Squad—misused their powers to stalk an unmarried young woman from Bangalore, who had her parents staying in Gujarat.
The entire surveillance-cum-phone interception operation was mounted in August 2009 on oral orders, without any valid legal authorization, and was meant only to serve the interests of someone whom the then minister of state for home, Amit Shah, addressed as ‘saheb’.
Soon after the telecast of the video at the press-conference, rediff has carried an unattributed news item: LIVE! Amit Shah tapes: Dad likely to say he told cops to watch daughter:
In response to the investigation of Gulail.com and Cobrapost, the father of the Gujarati woman is likely to issue a statement, our source tells us.
The woman was allegedly stalked by the Gujarat police on the instruction of Amit Shah, then minister of state for Home.
The father is likely to say that as a parent of a young girl, he had requested the Gujarat police to "keep watch" over his daughter.
The gravity of the offense, however, will not diminish. The woman is now married and lives in Mumbai and has a business.
Some of the reactions on Twitter:
And sure enough, the PTI report quotes the father: Amit Shah Accused of Illegal Surveillance on Woman for 'Saheb'
The girl's father, however, said in a statement that his daughter, who was based in Bangalore, had come to Ahmedabad when her mother was to undergo a surgery. She was required to commute at odd hours between the hospital and a nearby hotel which was a matter of concern to him.
He had, therefore, orally requested Modi, "with whom we have long-standing family relations" to "take care" of her. He was shocked that some "vested interests" were approaching the media in this regard.
BJP sources declined to react immediately, saying that the girl's father had already issued a statement.
- Exit Polls Indicate Modi's Narrative Strikes A Chord With Indian Voters
- Exit Poll Results: Narendra Modi Projected To Return As PM; NDA Headed For Landslide Victory
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Mahagathbandhan In Bihar
- BJP Has A Lot To Cheer As Exit Polls Predict Big Blow To Naveen Patnaik's BJD In Odisha
- Exit Polls Predict No Seat For PDP In Jammu & Kashmir
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Exit Polls Give BJP Clear Lead In Karnataka
- Oppn Parties Write To EC On PM Modi's Kedarnath Visit, Say Violation Of Poll Code
- 'Kamal Dabao Nahin Toh Thok Doonga': TMC Alleges Central Forces Of Intimidating Voters
- 'Serene And Spiritual', PM Modi Prays At Badrinath Temple, Meditates
- Spot-Fixing Scandal 2010: Afridi Claims He Confronted Three Tainted Pak Cricketers
- Farhan Akhtar Urges Bhopal To Vote Against Pragya Thakur, Gets His Dates Wrong
- Tej Pratap Yadav's Security Guards Beat Cameraperson, He Says 'Incident A Conspiracy To Murder Him'
- Yuvraj Singh: Is India's World Cup Hero And Celebrated All-Rounder Retiring?