'The Stalkers: Amit Shah’s Illegal Surveillance Exposed'
In a press-conference today, Cobrapost and Gulail played the above video, reportedly based on hundreds of recorded telephonic conversations made by suspended Gujarat IPS officer G.L. Singhal, an accused in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan murder case, which are said to have been handed over to the CBI.
This story is about the misuse of police machinery and powers of the State by a top minister in the Gujarat government to stalk a young woman from Bangalore, subjecting her to constant surveillance for reasons not immediately apparent.
Gujarat IPS officer G.L. Singhal, who is an accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case (Ishrat was killed, along with three others, by Gujarat Police in 2004) and out on bail, has handed over hundreds of recorded telephonic conversations to the CBI revealing how three key wings of the Gujarat Police—the State Intelligence Bureau, also known as CID Intelligence, the Crime Branch and the Anti-Terrorist Squad—misused their powers to stalk an unmarried young woman from Bangalore, who had her parents staying in Gujarat.
The entire surveillance-cum-phone interception operation was mounted in August 2009 on oral orders, without any valid legal authorization, and was meant only to serve the interests of someone whom the then minister of state for home, Amit Shah, addressed as ‘saheb’.
Soon after the telecast of the video at the press-conference, rediff has carried an unattributed news item: LIVE! Amit Shah tapes: Dad likely to say he told cops to watch daughter:
In response to the investigation of Gulail.com and Cobrapost, the father of the Gujarati woman is likely to issue a statement, our source tells us.
The woman was allegedly stalked by the Gujarat police on the instruction of Amit Shah, then minister of state for Home.
The father is likely to say that as a parent of a young girl, he had requested the Gujarat police to "keep watch" over his daughter.
The gravity of the offense, however, will not diminish. The woman is now married and lives in Mumbai and has a business.
Some of the reactions on Twitter:
And sure enough, the PTI report quotes the father: Amit Shah Accused of Illegal Surveillance on Woman for 'Saheb'
The girl's father, however, said in a statement that his daughter, who was based in Bangalore, had come to Ahmedabad when her mother was to undergo a surgery. She was required to commute at odd hours between the hospital and a nearby hotel which was a matter of concern to him.
He had, therefore, orally requested Modi, "with whom we have long-standing family relations" to "take care" of her. He was shocked that some "vested interests" were approaching the media in this regard.
BJP sources declined to react immediately, saying that the girl's father had already issued a statement.
- BJP's First List Of Candidates Has A Message For Opposition Parties
- BJP Releases First List, PM To Contest From Varanasi, Amit Shah From Gandhinagar
- Amit Shah To Contest Lok Sabha Polls From Gandhinagar, Replaces LK Advani
- Will Jet Airways Survive The Financial Turbulence?
- Kashmir Police Shift ‘Custodial Killing’ Probe Case To Pulwama; Extensive Injuries Seen On Body
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- When Train 18 Tricked To Be Modi’s Bullet Train
- At Least 40 Dead As Overloaded Ferry Sinks In Tigris Near Mosul, Iraq
- Nothing Friendly About 'Friendly Contest' Between NC And Congress In Kashmir
- 'Proud Day For Criminal justice System': Kapil Sibal's Sarcastic Jibe On Samjhauta Blast Case
- 6 Days After Christchurch Attack, New Zealand PM Announces Ban On Assault Rifles
- Encounter Underway Between Militants And Security Forces In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Chhattisgarh A Hard Fort To Conquer For BJP
- Pakistani Student Stabs Professor To Death For 'Anti-Islam' Comments, 'Promoting Obscenity'
- Two Policemen Injured In Grenade Attack In Jammu And Kashmir's Sopore