'The Red Pill Of Our Time'
Siddharth Varadarajan in the Hindu:
In an interview to NDTV and the Indian Express on Saturday — two media houses that have so far avoided covering the tapes — Ratan Tata has called the recordings a “smokescreen” designed to hide the real truth. He is wrong. Utterly wrong. No doubt we know very little about who leaked the recordings and why these were cherry-picked from a wider set of 5,000 recordings the Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax authorities made as part of their surveillance of Ms Radia. But even if the story they tell is partial and designed to expose only a fraction of the corporate lobbying which has been going on, we would be naive to ignore the contents of the tapes or be dismissive about their significance.
In the science fiction film, “The Matrix”, Morpheus tells Neo, “You're here because you know there's something wrong with the world.” The Matrix, he says, is the world that has been pulled over everyone's eyes to blind them from the truth that they are slaves. He offers Neo the choice of a blue or red pill. “You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill ... and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.”
The Niira Radia audio archive loaded on to the Internet by Open and Outlook magazines last week is the red pill of our time...
Read on at the Hindu: Welcome to the Matrix of the Indian state
- Environment vs Development: Sena Wants 50% Seats, But BJP Unlikely To Budge In Maharashtra
- Maharashtra, Haryana Polls: Sonia Wants Congress To Target State CMs, No Personal Attack On Modi
- 'Ab Ki Baar 75 Paar' -- Manoharlal Khattar's Big BJP Dream In Haryana
- How IIT, Development Dream Of Dispossessed, Turned Into A Nightmare
- Boxing Worlds: Panghal Settles For Silver; IND Achieve Best-Ever Haul
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- 'Don't Worry, Won't Harm Your Son', Babul Supriyo To Mother Of Student Who Pulled His Hair
- Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Starrer 'Gully Boy' Is India's Official Entry To Oscars
- Conflict Of Interest Impairs Tie-Ups Between Food Industry And Its Regulator
- In Horrifying Video, Former Madras HC Judge, Son Torture Daughter-In-Law
- Houston Gears Up To Welcome PM Modi For 'Howdy Modi'
- Voting For Maharashtra, Haryana Assembly Polls On October 21
- Wrestling Worlds 2019: Deepak Punia Becomes 1st Indian To Enter Final
- Tri-Series, 6th T20I: BAN Beat AFG By 4 Wickets