The Most Searched In India? Sunny Leone
This should not surprise anyone. The most searched trending person on Google in India during 2012 was Canadian-born porn-star and now Bollywood actress Sunny Leone, according to the Google Zeitgeist report for India for 2012. The full list:
Trending | People
- Sunny Leone
- Rajesh Khanna
- Poonam Pandey
- Alia Bhatt
- Nirmal Baba
- Sherlyn Chopra
- Yash Chopra
- Saif Ali Khan
- Diana Penty
- Vilasrao Deshmukh
In this film-obsessed nation, the deaths of Rajesh Khanna and Yash Chopra easily explain their presence, while Poonam Pandey who was #4 last year still managed to remain in the news, rising up by one position to #3. Sherlyn Chopra, Saif Ali Khan, Diana Penty and debutante Alia Bhatt are others from the glamour world.
Nirmal Baba, the controversial godman who faced allegations of fraud and cheating, and Vilasrao Deshmukh, former Maharashtra Chief Minister, who died in August was the lone politician on the list.
Bal Thackeray, among the other big political figures to have died, did not figure in any of the lists.
Last year’s top searched people was far more diverse, though it too had a preponderance of actors and models (topped by Katrina Kaif, Salman Khan at #3, Poonam Pandey at #4, Aishwarya Rai at #6 and Kareena Kapoor at #8. But it also included cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and singer Justin Bieber.
All Trending Searches:
Sunny Leone also made it to the top third over-all search:
- Gate Exams
- Sunny Leone
- Ek Tha Tiger
- Rowdy Rathore
- Rajesh Khanna
- Aakash Tablet
There are no surprises in the first two, as the first, viz. IBPS pertains to employment (“Institute of Banking Personnel Selection”) and the second to education (“GATE exams”, the qualifying test to enrol for graduate courses in the IITs),
The third of course was Sunny Leone. The fourth and fifth searches were both Salman Khan movies while Rajesh Khanna, at #7, was the fourth Bollywood-related search.
CBSE exam results fell from #3 last year to #6 this year.
The hype about Aakash tablet which was finally released this year and showcased at the UNO explains its inclusion while online retail portal Jabong.com that started its operations in January 2012 finds itself at the tenth place. What accounts for HDFC at #9? What accounts for the exclusion of much else that happened from the above lists?
Search us. We are indeed like this only.
- Exit Polls Indicate Modi's Narrative Strikes A Chord With Indian Voters
- Exit Poll Results: Narendra Modi Projected To Return As PM; NDA Headed For Landslide Victory
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Mahagathbandhan In Bihar
- BJP Has A Lot To Cheer As Exit Polls Predict Big Blow To Naveen Patnaik's BJD In Odisha
- Exit Polls Predict No Seat For PDP In Jammu & Kashmir
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Exit Polls Give BJP Clear Lead In Karnataka
- Oppn Parties Write To EC On PM Modi's Kedarnath Visit, Say Violation Of Poll Code
- 'Kamal Dabao Nahin Toh Thok Doonga': TMC Alleges Central Forces Of Intimidating Voters
- 'Serene And Spiritual', PM Modi Prays At Badrinath Temple, Meditates
- Spot-Fixing Scandal 2010: Afridi Claims He Confronted Three Tainted Pak Cricketers
- Farhan Akhtar Urges Bhopal To Vote Against Pragya Thakur, Gets His Dates Wrong
- Tej Pratap Yadav's Security Guards Beat Cameraperson, He Says 'Incident A Conspiracy To Murder Him'
- Yuvraj Singh: Is India's World Cup Hero And Celebrated All-Rounder Retiring?