The Most Searched In India? Sunny Leone
This should not surprise anyone. The most searched trending person on Google in India during 2012 was Canadian-born porn-star and now Bollywood actress Sunny Leone, according to the Google Zeitgeist report for India for 2012. The full list:
Trending | People
- Sunny Leone
- Rajesh Khanna
- Poonam Pandey
- Alia Bhatt
- Nirmal Baba
- Sherlyn Chopra
- Yash Chopra
- Saif Ali Khan
- Diana Penty
- Vilasrao Deshmukh
In this film-obsessed nation, the deaths of Rajesh Khanna and Yash Chopra easily explain their presence, while Poonam Pandey who was #4 last year still managed to remain in the news, rising up by one position to #3. Sherlyn Chopra, Saif Ali Khan, Diana Penty and debutante Alia Bhatt are others from the glamour world.
Nirmal Baba, the controversial godman who faced allegations of fraud and cheating, and Vilasrao Deshmukh, former Maharashtra Chief Minister, who died in August was the lone politician on the list.
Bal Thackeray, among the other big political figures to have died, did not figure in any of the lists.
Last year’s top searched people was far more diverse, though it too had a preponderance of actors and models (topped by Katrina Kaif, Salman Khan at #3, Poonam Pandey at #4, Aishwarya Rai at #6 and Kareena Kapoor at #8. But it also included cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and singer Justin Bieber.
All Trending Searches:
Sunny Leone also made it to the top third over-all search:
- Gate Exams
- Sunny Leone
- Ek Tha Tiger
- Rowdy Rathore
- Rajesh Khanna
- Aakash Tablet
There are no surprises in the first two, as the first, viz. IBPS pertains to employment (“Institute of Banking Personnel Selection”) and the second to education (“GATE exams”, the qualifying test to enrol for graduate courses in the IITs),
The third of course was Sunny Leone. The fourth and fifth searches were both Salman Khan movies while Rajesh Khanna, at #7, was the fourth Bollywood-related search.
CBSE exam results fell from #3 last year to #6 this year.
The hype about Aakash tablet which was finally released this year and showcased at the UNO explains its inclusion while online retail portal Jabong.com that started its operations in January 2012 finds itself at the tenth place. What accounts for HDFC at #9? What accounts for the exclusion of much else that happened from the above lists?
Search us. We are indeed like this only.
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Conclude Second Round Of Talks At Informal Summit
- From Lipsticks To Toothpastes To Milk, Counterfeit Products Make A Killing
- Lobster, Chicken & Mutton...: Here's What Xi Jinping Was Served In Dinner
- Can't Just Damn GST, It's Law Now: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Live - India v SA, 2nd Test: Umesh, Jadeja Strike, Proteas Stare At Follow-on
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- Pakistan Must End Support To Taliban, Other Terror Groups: Top US Senator
- At Informal Summit, Modi, Jinping Resolve To Fight Radicalisation, Terrorism
- World Women's Boxing Championships: Mary Kom Signs Off With Bronze Medal
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- IND Vs SA: Kohli, Saha Compete For Best Catch Of The Match - WATCH