Good morning! It was on this day, 342 years ago, that Chhatrapati Shvaji Maharaj was crowned the first king of the Maratha.
- And coming to his home state, an unfortunate accident between a luxury bus and two cars on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway claimed the lives of seventeen people and injured 43 others. The bus driver is said to have lost control while maneuvering two parked cars on the expressway, about 11 kilometres from Panvel.
- The Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh has ordered a probe into the violence at Mathura which has reportedly claimed 29 lives. A report in the TOI claims that the state government disregarded 40 intelligence reports which indicated that something had been brewing in the city.
- The ongoing tug-of-war between the Centre and the judiciary continues. For the first time, the government has rejected the SC collegium’s recommendation of a HC chief justice, twice.
- Holi may be long gone but the postal department is planning on adding colour to your life. The khaki is said to be out from the lives of postmen and replaced by ‘colourful clothes’ and a baseball cap. Life was just getting too drab.
- And in other news, Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray to win the French Open last night. Oh, and 42-year-old Leander Paes won another Grand Slam and is in contention for the Rio Olympics now.
And it also seems that good things do come to those who wait. After being rejected by close to 18,000 potential owners, ‘Britain’s loneliest dog’, Freya, has landed a role in the next Transformers movie.