The Lakshman Rekha Between 2G And Modi
In the span of a fortnight, the Supreme Court has come up with conflicting approaches to corruption and communal violence. While it has been goading the CBI to spare none of the culprits in the 2G scam, the apex court showed more concern about ensuring fair trial than about making the Modi regime accountable for the Gujarat carnage. The activist zeal involved in transgressing the lakshman rekha to kill Ravan, much as it is evident in the corruption case, is conspicuously absent in the communal violence case.
The UPA government tried to scuttle the Supreme Court’s monitoring of the 2G probe by citing, ironically enough, the precedent set in the Modi case. The two-judge bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi, however, clarified that it would not allow the lakshman rekha to come in the way of monitoring the remaining aspects of investigation and insulating the trial from extraneous pressures. In one such bona fide transgression of the lakshman rekha, the Singhvi bench attacked the covert attempt to undermine the trial by bringing in the telecom regulatory authority’s assessment of a zero loss in the spectrum allocation.
- Ram Mandir Will Be A Part Of Our Election Campaign: Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das
- 'Should Be Lynched', Says Jaya Bachchan As Telangana Rape-Murder Case Rocks Parliament
- Missing School Girl Raped, Strangled With Belt In Rajasthan; Police Detain 40-Yr-Old Suspect
- Fadnavis Made CM For 80 Hrs To 'Protect' Rs 40,000 Cr Central Fund: BJP MP
- We Are Fighting To Save Last Bits Of JNU’s Essence: JNUSU President Aishe Ghosh
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- 'Unlike Us', Telangana Vet Should Get Justice Sooner: Nirbhaya's Mother
- Pankaja Munde Removes 'BJP' From Twitter Bio After Cryptic FB Post
- Adhir Ranjan's 'Modi, Shah Infiltrators' Remark Stirs Row, BJP Seeks Apology
- Jharkhand BJP Spokesperson Quits, Says Party Needs Soul-Searching
- Cong Leader Chants 'Priyanka Chopra Zindabad' Instead Of 'Priyanka Gandhi...'
- Telangana Rape-Murder Case: Naidu Backs Change In Mercy Petition Law
- Yohan Blake Wants To Be India's Sprint Coach After Tokyo Olympics
- U-19 Cricket World Cup: Priyam Garg To Lead 15-Member India Squad