The Father Of Invention
Image Courtesy: Mitticool
Jyoti Pande Lavakare in the Business Standard:
Imagine a refrigerator that runs without electricity, keeps your perishables cool for five to seven days and costs you less than the price of a single meal for one person in a luxury hotel. It’s cool, it’s green and it’s affordable for the people at the bottom of the pyramid. But despite being around for seven years in a poor, tropical country like India, only 4,000 units have been sold so far (including to Africa, Dubai and America). Even today, not many of us know about the eco-friendly Mitticool refrigerator, and if I wanted to buy one myself, I still wouldn’t be able to get it at my local store — it would have to be couriered to me from a tiny village near Rajkot.
Mitticool is built with clay, ingeniously designed by Mansukhlal Raghavjibhai Prajapati, the son of a potter in rural Gujarat, using the same principle of cooling through evaporation that a surahi uses. He has also created a clay water-filter with a 0.9 micron candle (which costs Rs 400), a clay pressure cooker (Rs 350) and a non-stick tawa (Rs 100). And on April 1, he will launch a tandoori roti maker for Rs 250, so that we needn’t depend on the local dhaba for our occasional fix.
Read on at the Business Standard
Link courtesy pragmatic_d
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- Narendra Modi To Take Oath As PM For Second Term On May 30
- PM Modi Says Next 5 Years Are To Regain India's Lost Position In World
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- ICC CWC 2019, IND Vs PAK: Inzamam-ul-Haq Makes Huge Statement Ahead Of Big Clash
- How Can The Opposition Pick Itself Up From This Shattering Defeat?
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- Pak PM Imran Khan Calls PM Modi, Expresses Desire To Work Together
- Rafale Deal: No Question Of FIR Or CBI Probe, Centre Tells SC
- Aide Shot Dead, Smriti Irani Reaches Amethi, Shoulders Body To Cremation
- ICC CWC 2018: There Are At Least Five Clear Favourites, Says Legendary Jonty Rhodes
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- CBI Summons Ex-Kolkata Commissioner Rajeev Kumar In Saradha Chit Fund Scam
- Photo Of Newly Elected MP And His Former Boss Cross-Saluting Each Other Goes Viral
- What BJP's Win In Jammu Means For Kashmir Valley