The #emBODYindia Campaign
President of the Harvard US-India Initiative Disha Verma and Harvard student Tiana Abdulmassih have started a photo campaign for women’s rights, especially in light of the recent controversy surrounding Deepika Padukone and her objectification by the Times of India.
The campaign called 'emBODYindia' asks people to highlight what bothers them most about the idea of objectification and the changes that they want to see in the attitude of people towards women in society.
In an e-mail interview to BuzzFeed, Verma said, "The hard part wasn't a matter of convincing students to join in as much as it was trying to make time to photograph all the people that volunteered. Even the Dean of Harvard College let me take his photograph holding up a sign saying 'Women's rights are human rights'. The support has been overwhelming."
According to the campaign's message on Tumblr, the group of students are "committed to conveying the simple message that a woman’s body is her own, and her clothes are never an invitation".
All photos courtesy embodyindia.tublr.com, Tiana Abdulmassih, emBODYindia
- Bhima Koregaon Files: The Story Of Nine Activists Being Punished Without Trial
- 'Will Not Fight Elections Unless J&K Statehood Is Restored,' Says NC Leader Akbar Lone
- Over 2,050 Unprovoked Ceasefire Violations, Stop Targetting Civilians: India Tells Pakistan
- Twelve Killed, Several Missing As Tourist Boat Capsizes In Flooded Godavari River In Andhra
- An EU-Like Arrangement With SAARC Nations Could Reinvigorate India's Economic Prospects
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- 'Will Implement NRC In Haryana As Well,' Says CM Khattar Ahead Of State Polls
- Pakistan Could Lose In A Conventional War With India, But...: Imran Khan
- In Kaziranga, Forest Guard Shantiram Chhetri Stands Between Poacher's Bullets And Rhinos
- India v South Africa, 1st T20: Match Abandoned Due To Heavy Rain
- Priyanka Gandhi Hits Back After MoS Claims North Indians Lack Quality, Not Job Opportunity
- 'War Cry' Against Other Mother Tongues: Kerala CM Vijayan On Amit Shah's Hindi Push
- Ashes 2019: ENG, AUS Draw Series 2-2; But Urn Goes Down Under
- Delhi Govt Forms Panel To Work On Introduction Of 'Deshbhakti Curriculum' In Schools