The Boy Who Received The First Rabies Shot
French chemist Louis Pasteur who is regarded as the father of microbiology is renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurisation. He also invented the first-ever vaccines for anthrax and rabies.
Pasteur created the first vaccine for rabies by growing the virus in rabbits.
However, one hardly remembers the boy Pasteur first tried his revolutionary vaccine on.
An article in the Time explores how back in 1885, the vaccine was first administered to a human being -- a nine year old Joseph Meister who had been bitten in 14 places by a huge, mad dog:
Bacteriologist Louis Pasteur, who kept kennels of mad dogs in a crowded little laboratory and was hounded by medical criticism, had never tried his rabies vaccine on a human being before. But moved by the tears of Mme Meister, he finally took the boy to the Hotel-Dieu, had him injected with material from the spinal cord of a rabbit that had died from rabies. For three weeks Pasteur watched anxiously at the boy’s bedside. To his overwhelming joy, the boy recovered.
This boy whom Pasteur saved went on to become a janitor at the Pasteur Institute and often regaled visitors with tales of his time as the pioneering doctor’s patient.
However, he committed suicide in 1940 shortly after Germany invaded France.
- At Amit Shah's 'Thanksgiving' Dinner To NDA Allies, PM Modi Says 'People Fought These Lok Sabha Polls'
- EC Must Put All Speculations To Rest: Pranab Mukherjee On EVM Tampering Row
- 22 Opposition Parties Move Election Commission Over Reports Of EVM Tampering
- CWC 2019: Ravi Shastri Hails 'Fantastic' Communication between Virat Kohli And MS Dhoni
- 'Accept Defeat With Grace': BJP Slams Opposition Over EVM Tampering Claims
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh, 10 Others Killed By Suspected Militants In Tirap
- 'Will Even Take Up Arms To Protect Our Vote Against Rigging:' Upendra Kushwaha On EVM Tampering Row
- Dissent In Model Code Violation Cases Will Not Be Made Public, says EC
- Madhya Pradesh Govt May Reopen Murder Case Involving Pragya Singh Thakur
- No Restriction On Civilian Movement On Jammu-Srinagar Highway From May 27
- Karnataka Congress Leader Appeals Muslims To 'Join Hands' With BJP If Need Arises
- Saradha Case: SC Rejects Former Kolkata Top Cop Rajeev Kumar's Plea
- Anil Ambani's Reliance To Withdraw Rs 5,000-Crore Defamation Suit Against Congress Leaders