The Boy Who Received The First Rabies Shot
French chemist Louis Pasteur who is regarded as the father of microbiology is renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurisation. He also invented the first-ever vaccines for anthrax and rabies.
Pasteur created the first vaccine for rabies by growing the virus in rabbits.
However, one hardly remembers the boy Pasteur first tried his revolutionary vaccine on.
An article in the Time explores how back in 1885, the vaccine was first administered to a human being -- a nine year old Joseph Meister who had been bitten in 14 places by a huge, mad dog:
Bacteriologist Louis Pasteur, who kept kennels of mad dogs in a crowded little laboratory and was hounded by medical criticism, had never tried his rabies vaccine on a human being before. But moved by the tears of Mme Meister, he finally took the boy to the Hotel-Dieu, had him injected with material from the spinal cord of a rabbit that had died from rabies. For three weeks Pasteur watched anxiously at the boy’s bedside. To his overwhelming joy, the boy recovered.
This boy whom Pasteur saved went on to become a janitor at the Pasteur Institute and often regaled visitors with tales of his time as the pioneering doctor’s patient.
However, he committed suicide in 1940 shortly after Germany invaded France.
- 22 People Killed, Schools Shut As Rains Continue To Pound Himachal Pradesh
- Let's Move Forward, Free PoK From Pakistan, Says Union Minister Jitendra Singh
- Days After Moving Vatican, Expelled Kerala Nun Says 'Not Very Hopeful Of Positive Outcome'
- 190 Primary Schools To Reopen Today In Srinagar; Govt Offices To Be Functional Across Valley
- Death Threat To Indian Cricket Team, Pakistan Alert BCCI After Sensational Email
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat Pitches For 'Harmonious' Conversation On Reservation
- Home Minister Amit Shah Blames 'Appeasement' Politics For Triple Talaq
- 'Talks Will Only Be On PoK': Rajnath Singh's Fresh Attack On Pakistan
- BJP's Shivraj Singh Chouhan Calls Rahul Gandhi 'Deserter' Who 'Abandoned' Congress
- Jofra Archer Has Shaken Up The Ashes: England Captain Joe Root
- Video: Drunk Driver Crashes Car Into Pedestrians In Bengaluru, Several Injured
- MS Dhoni Ends His Two-Week Stint With Territorial Army... What Next?
- SC Dismisses Tarun Tejpal's Plea Seeking Quashing Of Charges In Sexual Assault Case