Twenty five years ago on this day, the Jaffna Public Library in Sri Lanka was burnt to the ground during the civil war. It was one of the largest public libraries in Asia.
- Starting on a somber note, did you manage to catch prime-time debates last night? They were about a comic who made fun of Lata Mangeshkar and Sachin Tendulkar on something called Snapchat. The holy trinity of Holiness in Maharashtra namely the MNS, the Shiv Sena and the BJP are now after AIB’s Tanmay Bhat’s life and limbs.
- Speaking of limbs, the Congress party has gone out on one to back Robert Vadra. The apple of his mother’s eye, Vadra is now believed to be in cahoots with a shady arms dealer by the name of Sanjay Bhandari. IT sleuths have recovered a trail of emails where they discuss something about a benami property in London.
- If Snapchat is the scourge of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh is still dealing with good old Facebook. The state government there has booked two Mumbai youths under the National Security Act (NSA) for a Facebook post on a Hindu deity. Interesting bit: The duo now cannot get bail for the next two months.
- While we’re on bail-outs, remember the time eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani had represented RJD supremo Lalu Yadav in the fodder-scam saga? Jethmalani has filed a nomination to become a Rajya Sabha MP courtesy the party.
- The floods in Uttarakhand in 2013 were a major disaster. A series of cloudbursts have claimed six lives in the Tehri and Uttarkashi districts and more rainfall is expected in the state. Pray.
And clearing this up, we ask you to stop staring at a screen for more than three-four hours a day. It is called computer visual system. Speaking of advances in technology and weirdness, you can now send your Gangajal by post courtesy a new initiative to be unveiled by the central government. Toodles.