Songs Of Protest, Songs Of Resistance
Music has always been an integral part of most revolutions. Be it the Indian freedom movement or South Africa's struggle against apartheid, songs and poetry have a way of encapsulating the struggles as well as the aspirations of those trying to usher change. The recent protests at JNU are no different. JNU has always been known for its innovative slogans and protest songs. Here is a playlist of the recent songs inspired by the protests:
Azadi by Dub Sharma:
Made by Siddharth, a Chandigarh based composer who goes by the name Dub Sharma, the song has mixed audio clips from JNU student union President Kanhaiya Kumar's famous speech with a catchy EDM tune. In the track, one can listen to the slogans he had raised and the 'azadi' he had demanded from feudalism, capitalism, Brahmanism, casteism. Kumar's slogans end with — "Azadi hum leke rahenge, tum kuch bhi karlo. (We will take our freedom, do what you will)".
Song of resistance by Stand with JNU:
The lecture series organised by the college in protest of being called anti national saw students coming in from all over Delhi to listen to the speakers. Song of resistance was part of the event where students of the university sang songs to show their support and solidarity during this time of crisis.
We are JNU by Sylvie:
Composed by a JNU student from Germany, the song is an ode to both student leader Kanhaiya Kumar and the university's spirit of resistance. The lyrics, "If they shackle us down, we raise our voice, 'Cause democracy is an everyday choice. If they beat us up and they push us around, We stand only more firmly on our ground"— talk about the unbreakable spirit of the students of JNU, even under the hardest of circumstances.
- Our Aim Is Not To Collect Fines, Follow Rules And You Don’t Have To Pay A Penny: Gadkari On MV Act
- 'Thrilled', Says Defence Minister Rajnath Singh After Tejas Sortie
- Transport Strike In Delhi Today To Protest Against New MVA, Many Schools, Offices Closed
- Trump Says There 'Could Be' Some Announcement At 'Howdy, Modi' Event
- IND Vs SA, 2nd T20I: Bowlers Showed Character – Kohli
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- No Arrest So Far In Chinmayanand Case, Student Threatens Self-Immolation
- After 8 Days, Police Reinstates Murder Charge Against All Accused In Tabrez Ansari Killing
- On Kashmir Issue, UN Chief Gives 'Clear Opinion'
- IMD Forecasts 'Extremely Heavy Rainfall' In Mumbai Today, Issues Red Alert
- Amid Internet Shutdown, Separatist Leader Geelani's Email To Journalists Raises Eyebrows, Police To Order Probe
- Doing My Best To Win Gold In Tokyo: Vinesh Phogat
- 'Which Ban Has Worked In India?': Vaping Association Says Ban On E-Cigarettes Will Affect Health Of Vapers
- Hima Das Ruled Out Of World Athletics Championships Due To Back Injury