Sir Terry Pratchett (1948-2015): 20 Quotable Quotes
Sir Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld fantasy series of novels died at the age of 66 "with his cat sleeping on his bed, surrounded by his family".
His publisher, Transworld, described him as one of the "brightest, sharpest minds" of the world.
20 quotable quotes from Sir Terry Pratchett on life, the universe and everything:
- In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along.
- They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
- Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
- The ideal death, I think, is what was the ideal Victorian death, you know, with your grandchildren around you, a bit of sobbing. And you say goodbye to your loved ones, making certain that one of them has been left behind to look after the shop.
- Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
- Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
- Evolution was far more thrilling to me than the biblical account. Who would not rather be a rising ape than a falling angel? To my juvenile eyes, Darwin was proved true every day. It doesn't take much to make us flip back into monkeys again.
- If you are going to write, say, fantasy - stop reading fantasy. You've already read too much. Read other things; read westerns, read history, read anything that seems interesting, because if you only read fantasy and then you start to write fantasy, all you're going to do is recycle the same old stuff and move it around a bit.
- It occurred to me that at one point it was like I had two diseases - one was Alzheimer's, and the other was knowing I had Alzheimer's.
- It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.
- Death isn't cruel - merely terribly, terribly good at his job.
- Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
- I like the idea of democracy. You have to have someone everyone distrusts. That way everyone's happy.
- By the time you've reached your sixties, you do know that one day you will die, and knowing that is at least the beginning of wisdom.
- I didn't go to university. Didn't even finish A-levels. But I have sympathy for those who did.
- I intend, before the endgame looms, to die sitting in a chair in my own garden with a glass of brandy in my hand and Thomas Tallis on the iPod. Oh, and since this is England, I had better add, 'If wet, in the library.' Who could say that this is bad?
- I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.
- If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.
The last few tweets from Pratchett's Twitter account which he shared with his friend Rob Wilkins:
AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.— Terry Pratchett (@terryandrob) March 12, 2015
Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.— Terry Pratchett (@terryandrob) March 12, 2015
The End.— Terry Pratchett (@terryandrob) March 12, 2015
- Vijay Mallya Could Escape Deportation Till September 2019
- Parliament Must Ensure Politicians With Criminal Charges Don't Contest Elections: SC
- Two Militants Killed In Gunfight In Jammu And Kashmir's Sopore District
- BLOG | What Nightlife, Cricket And Cinemas Have To Do With Kashmir Solution
- 100 Years Of Battle Of Haifa: A Greater Cause For Celebration Than Surgical Strike
- What Nightlife, Cricket And Cinemas Have To Do With Kashmir Solution
- The Fitness Of An Actress Is No Virtue To Be Extolled By Misogynistic Bollywood
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- Rewari Rape Victim Still Battling For Life, Misses Exam After Preparing For Months
- 22 Killed, Schools Shut As Incessant Rains Pound Himachal, J&K And Punjab
- London: First Sikh Gaurdsman May Get Expelled, Tested Positive For Cocaine
- Being MP Doesn’t Give You Liberty To Take Law in Your Hands: SC to Manoj Tiwari
- Video Showing Muslims Pledging Vote To TRS Goes Viral, Opposition Targets KCR
- 35 IIT Students Stranded During Trek In Lahaaul-Spiti Are Safe, Says Himachal CM
- Tamil Nadu BJP Chief Nominates PM Modi For Nobel Peace Prize For Launching Ayushman Bharat
- Asia Cup, India vs Afghanistan: TV Listing, Live Streaming And Predicted XIs