Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
H5N8 virus were found in the samples of three of eight birds which had died recently at the Delhi zoo, and not the H5N1 virus, which is more "infective and dangerous" and "may affect humans".
Should I worry?
Not as of now. There are several strains of bird flu, or avian influenza, and H5N8 has only so far emerged in birds, not humans unlike H5N1, which can infect humans.
Does that mean H5N8 won’t affect humans—ever?
Most scientists thought so about H5N1 but humans were eventually affected and many died. So, no scientist will bet on it.
What is this alphabet soup?
Influenza A is a family of viruses which cause respiratory diseases. The virus subtypes differ in the kind of proteins the viruses carry on their surfaces -- H1N1, H5N1, H7N9 etc.
The "H" and "N" stand for hemagglutinin and neuraminidase, two crawler proteins on virus body that allow it to enter and exit host cells. The nomenclature was built around them. The types are numbered according to when they were discovered; H1 was identified first. There are 18 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 11 different neuraminidase subtypes
Who is at risk now?
The protein H5 can help the virus jump from poultry to humans. Poultry handlers are at immediate risk.
- NHRC Has Rarely Unearthed The Truth. Will It Be Different In Telangana?
- 'Law Has Done Its Duty': Telangana Police On Killing Rape-Murder Accused
- 'Law Violated, Fake Encounter': Lawyers, Activists Question Killing Of T'gana Rape-Murder Accused
- Open Letter | Is This The Justice You Wanted, Ms Bachchan?
- ‘If The British Behaved Like Hyderabad Police, They Would Have Shot Bhagat Singh In Encounter’
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- 'More Than Meets The Eye': Ex-Top Cop Raises Questions On T'gana Encounter
- Uttar Pradesh: Woman Shot In Face After She Stops Dancing At Wedding
- Hyderabad Encounter: Jwala Gutta Poses Important 'Social Standing' Question
- Even Pakistan, Afghanistan Safer Than India For Women: Global Survey
- Day After Being Set On Fire, Unnao Rape Survivor Extremely Critical
- Govt Calls Sheikh Abdullah ‘Great Leader’, But Imposes Sec 144 At His Grave
- I-League, Live: Kisekka Scores For Gokulam, Arrows Search For Equaliser
- LIVE: IND Vs WI, 1st T20I - India Start World T20 Trials With West Indies Clash