Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
H5N8 virus were found in the samples of three of eight birds which had died recently at the Delhi zoo, and not the H5N1 virus, which is more "infective and dangerous" and "may affect humans".
Should I worry?
Not as of now. There are several strains of bird flu, or avian influenza, and H5N8 has only so far emerged in birds, not humans unlike H5N1, which can infect humans.
Does that mean H5N8 won’t affect humans—ever?
Most scientists thought so about H5N1 but humans were eventually affected and many died. So, no scientist will bet on it.
What is this alphabet soup?
Influenza A is a family of viruses which cause respiratory diseases. The virus subtypes differ in the kind of proteins the viruses carry on their surfaces -- H1N1, H5N1, H7N9 etc.
The "H" and "N" stand for hemagglutinin and neuraminidase, two crawler proteins on virus body that allow it to enter and exit host cells. The nomenclature was built around them. The types are numbered according to when they were discovered; H1 was identified first. There are 18 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 11 different neuraminidase subtypes
Who is at risk now?
The protein H5 can help the virus jump from poultry to humans. Poultry handlers are at immediate risk.
- #MeToo | Where’s The Line To Be Drawn When Everyone Has A Different Line?
- One Shot, One Location, One Actor: Bimba Redefines Fast Track Film-Making
- Former BSP MP's Son Brandishes Gun Outside 5-Star Hotel In Delhi, Video Goes Viral
- Chetan Bhagat Hits Back At Ira Trivedi, Says Don't Harm #MeToo With False Charges
- 'AAP Is Kangaal': Kejriwal Launches Nationwide Fund Collection Drive Ahead Of 2019 Polls
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Stinking Toilets In Trains: Blame It On Passengers
- 'Dawshobhuja A Durgachitra' On This Durga Puja
- Bryan Adams Shares Photo Of Delhi Smog From Concert Venue, Says ‘You Can See My Shadow’
- 'Ready To Fight': Priya Ramani Responds To M J Akbar's Defamation Suit Against Her
- Telecom Companies Seeks More Time From UIDAI To Submit Aadhaar eKYC 'Exit Plan'
- Congress Lashes Out At PM Modi For Resorting To Poll Gimmicks Over Fuel Prices
- Amid Fuel Price Hike, PM Modi Appeals For Partnership With Oil Producers
- Bihar Government Declares 206 Blocks Of 23 Districts As Drought-Hit
- West Bengal Govt Launches 'Khadya Sathi', Extends Food Security To 8.5 Crore People: Mamata Banerjee
- RBI Approves Sandeep Bakhshi's Appointment As ICICI Bank MD, CEO