In the last couple of days, Indian journalists seem to have been at the receiving end of what can only be termed as growing intolerance and an inability to accept difference in opinion.
On January 20, senior journalist Siddharth Varadarajan was held hostage for almost half an hour inside the Vice Chancellor's office, Allahabad University, when he went to meet the VC.
Varadarajan who was there to address a symposium at Senate hall of the Arts campus wasn't allowed to do so by the authorities after protests by the office bearers of the Students' Union who claimed that he is pro-naxal and his ideas are anti-national.
Despite this, Varadarajan addressed a gathering of almost a 100 students at a venue right outside the varsity. When he went to meet the VC, a large number of ABVP memebers along with the officer bearers of the Students' Union appeared at the portico of the VC's office and started shouting slogans against Varadarajan. It was only after the police intervened that he was allowed to leave.
So in the face of ABVP's threats, the Allahabad Univ admin & city admin have forced the cancellation of my talk on freedom of speech!— Siddharth (@svaradarajan) January 20, 2016
I will, however, be going to the Allahabad University campus today to register my protest at this blatant intimidation— Siddharth (@svaradarajan) January 20, 2016
Just delivered my lecture on freedom of expression at a hall outside Allahabad Univ campus. Now going into campus. pic.twitter.com/qXHkDfHyho— Siddharth (@svaradarajan) January 20, 2016
Very good interview by Allahabad Univ Students Union president Richa Singh on today's goondaism by ABVP https://t.co/hRlK3U30q5— Siddharth (@svaradarajan) January 20, 2016
On the same day, a convict in a Gujarat riots case, out on parole, allegedly assaulted journalist Revati Laul, who is writing a book on the convicts in the 2002 Naroda-Patiya massacre case, in Ahmedabad.
She alleged that she was punched and slapped by Suresh Chhara when she asked him some questions during an interview at his house. She managed to escape after Suresh Chhara's son and some neighbours intervened.
- JP Nadda Becomes BJP Working President, Amit Shah To Continue As Party Chief
- West Bengal Doctors End Strike After Meeting Mamata Banerjee
- Is Whisper Campaign Against Praveen Chakravarty Actually Aimed At Rahul Gandhi?
- Watch: Actor-Singer Palash Sen Calls Doctors Across India To 'Halla Bol' Against Violence
- CWC 2019: Shakib Al Hasan, Liton Das Help BAN Crush WI
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Army Major Killed, 3 Jawans Injured In Gunfight With Militants In J&K's Anantnag
- BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur Creates Controversy Over Her Name During Oath Taking In Lok Sabha
- Will Kerala MP K Suresh Lead Congress In Lok Sabha If Rahul Gandhi Says No?
- TV Reporter Confronts BJP 'Leader' Who Entered ICU Wearing Shoes, Wins Praise On Internet
- 'It Talks About Power Of Universalism And Liberalism': Kapil Dev On His Book 'We The Sikhs'
- Bihar: 100 Children Die Due To Suspected Acute Encephalitis, Harsh Vardhan Visits Families
- Kolkata Man's Live Stunt In Hoogly River Turns Fatal, Drowns
- WATCH: Kuldeep Makes His Mark With ‘A Perfect Delivery' Against Pakistan