'Perumal Murugan, The Writer Is Dead'
The New Indian Express reports:
The 18-day protests over controversial Tamil novel, Madhorubhagan, on Monday ended with its author Perumal Murugan tendering an unconditional apology for “hurting the sentiments of the people of Tiruchengode”. He also decided to withdraw all his novels, short stories, essays and poems published so far. He said he would compensate the publishers. He told Express that he made the decision fearing protests in the future against his published work.
The Hindu has a report saying that Murugan has decided to give up writing altogether.
"Perumal Murugan, the writer is dead. As he is no God, he is not going to resurrect himself. He also has no faith in rebirth. An ordinary teacher, he will live as P. Murugan. Leave him alone" he has posted on his Facebook account.
Earlier, Outlook had pointed out the author's travails as he was facing protests for his gentle portrayal of the miseries of a childless couple.
We also carried an interview with Kannan Sundaram, the publisher of the book.
- Parliament Must Ensure Politicians With Criminal Charges Don't Contest Elections: SC
- 22 Killed, Schools Shut As Incessant Rains Pound Himachal, J&K And Punjab
- BJP To Hold 'Mega Rally' In Bhopal Today: PM Modi, Amit Shah Expected To Address 13L Party Workers
- 35 IIT Students Reportedly Missing In Snow-Hit Lahaul Spiti In Himachal
- Man-Tiger Conflict Roils Part Of Odisha
- The Fitness Of An Actress Is No Virtue To Be Extolled By Misogynistic Bollywood
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- With A Formidable BJP, Is Mamata Worried About Hindu Votes?
- Donald Trump Says Second Meeting With Kim Jong-Un Expected ‘Pretty Soon’
- Cop Taken Off VIP Security Duty After Argument With SPG Protecting Rahul Gandhi
- Tamil Nadu BJP Chief Nominates PM Modi For Nobel Peace Prize For Launching Ayushman Bharat
- SC Constitutes Committee To Look Into Jail Reforms
- Trump Sends Lovely Message To Dear Friend PM Modi, Here Is What He Said
- London: First Sikh Gaurdsman May Get Expelled, Tested Positive For Cocaine
- Passenger Detained For Trying To Open Plane’s Exit Door Mistaking It For Toilet
- Judo Gold Medallist Held For Stalking And Sending Obscene Pictures