'Perumal Murugan, The Writer Is Dead'
The New Indian Express reports:
The 18-day protests over controversial Tamil novel, Madhorubhagan, on Monday ended with its author Perumal Murugan tendering an unconditional apology for “hurting the sentiments of the people of Tiruchengode”. He also decided to withdraw all his novels, short stories, essays and poems published so far. He said he would compensate the publishers. He told Express that he made the decision fearing protests in the future against his published work.
The Hindu has a report saying that Murugan has decided to give up writing altogether.
"Perumal Murugan, the writer is dead. As he is no God, he is not going to resurrect himself. He also has no faith in rebirth. An ordinary teacher, he will live as P. Murugan. Leave him alone" he has posted on his Facebook account.
Earlier, Outlook had pointed out the author's travails as he was facing protests for his gentle portrayal of the miseries of a childless couple.
We also carried an interview with Kannan Sundaram, the publisher of the book.
- India's Chanakyas | Why 'Brother' Taranga Gogoi Calls Himanta Biswa Sarma A Superman
- Jet Airways Founder Naresh Goyal, Wife Resign Amid Debt Crisis
- Rahul Gandhi Spells Out LS Victory Strategy, Rs 72000 Per Annum Income Guarantee For India's Poor
- IPL 2019, Live Cricket Score: RR Vs KXIP – Steve Smith Embarks On Road To Redemption
- PM Modi Biopic Producer Justifies Use Of Javed Akhtar's Name
- Is Forfeiture Of Deposits Doing More Harm Than Good To Indian Democracy?
- The Deteriorating State Of Modern Music
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Jet Airways Board Holds Emergency Meeting On Interim Funding, CEO Goyal's Future Role
- SC Asks CBI To Probe Former UP CMs Mulayam, Akhilesh's Disproportionate Assets Case
- Alleged Middleman Rajiv Saxena Turns Approver In Agusta Westland Case
- How Raju Bista's Candidature Is Fomenting Discontent In The Darjeeling Hills
- Ex-Telecom Minister Sukh Ram Rejoins Congress
- AIIMS Fire: Admissions To Emergency Department Suspended For A Month
- After Railway Tickets, Air India Boarding Pass Has PM Modi Pictures; Airline Says Looking Into It
- Expect Buyer For Jet By May 31, Says SBI Chairman