P. Chidambaram V/s Digvijay Singh
If P. Chidambaram represents one end of the spectrum in Congress party, Digvijay Singh personifies the other. The former Madhya Pradesh chief minister joins issue with his party colleague in the Economic Times:
I have known P Chidambaram since 1985 when we both were elected to Parliament. He is extremely intelligent, articulate, committed and a sincere politician, but extremely rigid once he makes up his mind. I have been a victim of his intellectual arrogance many times, but we still are good friends.
In this case, I have differed with his strategy that does not take into consideration the people living in the affected area who ultimately matter. He is treating it purely as a law and order problem without taking into consideration the issues that affect the tribals. When I raised these issues with him, he said that it was not his responsibility.
I strongly believe in the collective responsibility of the Cabinet, and as home minister, it is his responsibility to take a holistic view of the issue and put it up to the Cabinet rather than opt for a narrow sectarian view. The home minister is also a member of the core group.
As far as law and order is concerned, the buck stops with the chief minster, not with the home minister. The Centre provides central forces at the request of the state government and their deployment is the responsibility of the state government. In this incident, where was the state police? I believe it was represented only by a head constable. Why is the home minister taking the flak when it is the chief minister who should be answering the questions?
Of course, the AICC general secretary says these are his personal views.
- 'Save Me, I Want To See Them Hanged To Death': Unnao Rape Victim's Last Words
- All Crocodile Tears, No Action? Here's How India Failed Rape Victims Post Nirbhaya
- Telangana Rape-Murder Case: What SC Guidelines Say About Encounter Killings
- Assembly Elections 2020: Does Arvind Kejriwal Have The X-Factor To Defend Delhi?
- IND Vs WI, 1st T20I: Kohli Rejects Entertainer Tag, Pollard Rues Execution
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- An Encounter Now And Then Is Not A Solution To An Endemic Problem
- Want To See Accused Being Chased And Shot Dead: Unnao Victim's Father
- Jharkhand Witnesses Brisk Polling, One Dead In Clashes In Gumla
- 1st T20I: Yuvraj Singh Lashes Out At India For Poor Fielding Vs West Indies
- 'Extremely Sad': Adityanath Says Unnao Rape Victim's Case To Be Fast Tracked
- Decide In 4 Weeks On Status Of MBBS Degrees Obtained From PoK: J&K HC
- Priyanka Gandhi Blames UP Govt For Not Giving Security To Unnao Victim
- Open Letter | Is This The Justice You Wanted, Ms Bachchan?