Over 200 Dalits in Gujarat Embrace Buddhism Alleging Discrimination
If we are not considered as one of them, why should we follow that religion?” asked Dipanshu Parish, a 23-year-old from Ahmedabad, who was one of the 140 Dalits who embraced Buddhism in Gujarat on the auspicious day of Dussehra.
According to a report in The Indian Express, over 200 Dalits converted to Buddhism at three programmes in Gujarat on October 11 citing the blatant discrimination, inequality that came to the fore after the Una flogging incident.
The programmes were organised in Kalol of Gandhinagar district, Danilimda area of Ahmedabad city and Wadhwan town of Surendranagar district. The Kalol event was organised by Buddhist Society of India while the Danilimda event was held under the aegis of Gujarat Buddhist Academy. In Wadhwan, the programme was organised at a private Bauddh Vihar.
The converts, talking to The Indian Express, cited various issues such as superstition, inequality and caste-based discrimination in Hinduism, as well as the influence of Dr B R Ambedkar, but most of them cited the Una episode — in which seven Dalits were flogged by alleged gau rakshaks for skinning a dead cow in July.
Earlier this year in April, Radhika Vemula, Dalit scholar Rohith Vemula's mother along with her sons converted to Buddhism.
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Environment vs Development: Sena Wants 50% Seats, But BJP Unlikely To Budge In Maharashtra
- Maharashtra, Haryana Polls: Sonia Wants Congress To Target State CMs, No Personal Attack On Modi
- 'Ab Ki Baar 75 Paar' -- Manoharlal Khattar's Big BJP Dream In Haryana
- How IIT, Development Dream Of Dispossessed, Turned Into A Nightmare
- Boxing Worlds: Panghal Settles For Silver; IND Achieve Best-Ever Haul
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- 'Don't Worry, Won't Harm Your Son', Babul Supriyo To Mother Of Student Who Pulled His Hair
- Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Starrer 'Gully Boy' Is India's Official Entry To Oscars
- Conflict Of Interest Impairs Tie-Ups Between Food Industry And Its Regulator
- In Horrifying Video, Former Madras HC Judge, Son Torture Daughter-In-Law
- Houston Gears Up To Welcome PM Modi For 'Howdy Modi'
- Voting For Maharashtra, Haryana Assembly Polls On October 21
- Wrestling Worlds 2019: Deepak Punia Becomes 1st Indian To Enter Final
- BAN Vs AFG LIVE: Rashid Removes Mahmudullah; BAN 95/5 (14)