Orangutans And Potato Chips
A brilliant, if chilling, photo narrative from Aceh. What does it have to do with India? Oh, but everything. First, the images...shot and put together by award-winning photographer Paul Hilton for The Guardian.
Indonesia is the world's largest producer of palm oil. It's apparently an (often unnamed) ingredient in "one in two supermarket products" -- processed foods, soap, chewing gum, shampoo and what not. And guess where most of its palm oil exports go.
To the same country where a rare political consensus is achieved in that otherwise most disputatious of states, Kerala, over a willingness to visit damnation on the Western Ghats, one of only eight biodiversity hotspots left in the world. This utilitarian worldview bringing about a remarkable pact between even such sworn foes as the Communists and the Church.
Where a central urban development minister, at the fag-end of an election and just a fortnight before a new regime, signs away hundreds of hectares of ancient Aravalli forest around Delhi to real estate sharks and resort builders. The same minister, quite an adept at flying below the radar of riot investigations and scam inquiries, on whom these delicious lines were spoken in the infamous Radia tapes: "He is a doer. He can make his 15 per cent. You can also make money and do national service."
Where all that might soon be dwarfed in scale by what's coming. For the man who would be prime minister and the economic gurus falling over each other to be his advisor promise to dismantle even such institutional restraints as remain in the path of seamless industry clearances owing to irritants like 'environment'. A full embrace of the ideology of the cancer cell.
Chew on these pictures next time you chew gum. Or reach for those chips.
- At Amit Shah's 'Thanksgiving' Dinner To NDA Allies, PM Modi Says 'People Fought These Lok Sabha Polls'
- EC Must Put All Speculations To Rest: Pranab Mukherjee On EVM Tampering Row
- 22 Opposition Parties Move Election Commission Over Reports Of EVM Tampering
- CWC 2019: Ravi Shastri Hails 'Fantastic' Communication between Virat Kohli And MS Dhoni
- 'Accept Defeat With Grace': BJP Slams Opposition Over EVM Tampering Claims
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh, 10 Others Killed By Suspected Militants In Tirap
- 'Will Even Take Up Arms To Protect Our Vote Against Rigging:' Upendra Kushwaha On EVM Tampering Row
- Dissent In Model Code Violation Cases Will Not Be Made Public, says EC
- Madhya Pradesh Govt May Reopen Murder Case Involving Pragya Singh Thakur
- No Restriction On Civilian Movement On Jammu-Srinagar Highway From May 27
- Karnataka Congress Leader Appeals Muslims To 'Join Hands' With BJP If Need Arises
- Saradha Case: SC Rejects Former Kolkata Top Cop Rajeev Kumar's Plea
- Anil Ambani's Reliance To Withdraw Rs 5,000-Crore Defamation Suit Against Congress Leaders