A French Film, Majorité Opprimée, dubbed Oppressed Majority, with English subtitles has clocked close to 2.75 million views in less than a week since being released on YouTube.
The 10-minute film tells the story of Pierre, an ordinary guy, on an ordinary day, in an unnamed French town, ruled by women.
The film was made five years ago by Eléonore Pourriat—who's now working on her next project, a mockumentary about the removal of pubic hair— and won an award at a festival in Kiev but had little impact in France, until the English subtitled release last week on YouTube.
Eléonore Pourriat tells the Guardian:
"So often when women get assaulted, people say it's their fault. Even close people. That's what I wanted to say..." She says that the film "came from a personal experience. I was a woman. I was 30 years old. And my husband didn't believe that I was – I was not assaulted, but I got remarked on in the street. Very often. He said, 'Wow. That's incredible.' His surprise was the beginning of the idea for me. Sometimes men – it's not their fault – they don't imagine that women are assaulted even with words every day, with small, slight words. They can't imagine that because they are not confronted with that themselves."
- 'Defeated, Corrupt Politicians Opposing Electoral Bonds': BJP Hits Back At Opposition
- 'Sanskrit Can't Be Shackled': Students, Teachers Support Muslim Professor's Appointment
- JNU VC Deserves Compliment -- For Passionate Zeal To Destroy Varsity
- 'Stalled Ram Temple, J&K Issue': Shah's Attacks Cong Ahead Of J'khand Polls
- 'Complete Unanimity' Between Cong-NCP, Discussion With Sena On Friday
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- 'Head Smashed, Legs Broken': Sena Leader Warns Those Who Try To Poach Party MLAs
- Quid Pro Quo Did Take Place: US Envoy To Trump's Impeachment Inquiry
- Air Quality Dips To 'Severe' In Several Parts Of Delhi, Haze Returns
- Government Bails Out Telecom Sector But Several Challenges Remain
- 'Big Scam': Congress Stages Walkout In Lok Sabha Over Electoral Bonds
- Day-Night Test PREVIEW: Kohli's IND Clear Favourites Against Struggling BAN
- Who's In, Who's Out: Indian Squads For West Indies Series Announced
- Shooting WC Finals: India's Golden Trio Claim Top Honours In China