'One Small Incident Of Rape In Delhi...': Arun Jaitley
Finane minister Arun Jaitley has caused shocked anger at his callous remarks about the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedical student in 2012.
While addressing a conference of state tourism ministers on Thursday, August 21, Jaitley said:
"One small incident of rape in Delhi advertised world over is enough to cost us millions of dollars in terms of lower tourism"
When a storm of protest broke over his shocking statement that seemed to trivialise the Dec 16, 2012 rape that shook India, the finance and defence minister merely said that he regretted his remark was misconstrued.
"I regret that some word that I used was construed as insensitive, that was never my intention. I have always been very outspoken about issues relating to crime against women. I am very sensitive to these issues myself," he said.
Jaitley also added that, "I had spoken at length as to factors which hurt tourism in India; one of factors I mentioned was crime against women."
In a seeming effort at damage control, when the full text of his speech was made available by PIB, it omitted the word "small".
It was only when a TV channel played his full speech that his staunch suppoters clearly heard him indeed saying what he was reported to have said:
‘A law and order problem, one small incident of rape in Delhi advertised world over is enough to cost us millions of dollars in terms of... lower tourism. So we have a national responsibility especially when God has blessed us with everything, which a tourist wants to see... ‘
Some of the reactions on Twitter:
- 6-10 Pak Soldiers Killed, 3 Terror Camps Destroyed In PoK By Indian Forces: Army Chief
- Will Prepare Blueprint For Companies Looking Beyond China: Sitharaman
- In Meet With Yogi, Kamlesh's Family Demands Capital Punishment For Murderers
- Great Content The Reason For Web Series' Success: Sujoy Ghosh
- India v South Africa, Ranchi Test: Pacers Rock SA After Rohit 212
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- 'Why So Many Rallies In Maharashtra If...': Shiv Sena Asks CM Fadnavis
- 'I Celebrate Women Who Resist Urge To Live As Victims': Smriti Irani
- London Mayor Condemns Plans To Hold Anti-India March Over Kashmir Issue
- No Fan Of Noise, But Outlook Wants To Be Heard: Ruben Banerjee
- DU Professor's Body Found On Rail Tracks, Mother Too Found Dead
- 'These Bigots Are Blinded By...': Rahul Slams Goyal Over Anti-Abhijit Banerjee Comment
- ISL, Kerala Blasters 2 - 1 ATK: Ogbeche Double Seals Thrilling Victory
- WATCH: Jaw-Dropping Sixes! Umesh Yadav Lays Waste To South Africa