Not Just An Indian Story
An article by Cleo Paskal, Associate Fellow, Royal Institute of International Affairs, in the Huffington Post, spurred by Dr Subramanian Swamy's letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking sanction to prosecute Sonia Gandhi, is doing the rounds:
On April 15, former Law and Justice Minister and Harvard Professor Dr. Subramanian Swamy asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for leave to lay corruption charges against Sonia Gandhi. In a meticulously researched 200+ page submission Dr Swamy alleges Sonia Gandhi has been involved in corruption in India since 1972 and personally benefited from the Bofors scam (1986), has held billions in non-Indian bank accounts since at least 1991, illegally profited from the Iraqi oil-for-food deals (2002), and even accessed KGB payoffs during the Cold War.
The Prime Minister has three months to decide whether or not to grant sanction to prosecute. If he doesn't, Dr. Swamy can take the case directly to the Supreme Court, which under Chief Justice Kapadia is showing a definite proclivity towards facilitating corruption cases.
While, so far, the corruption cases in India have caught up some pretty big fish, if charges are laid against Sonia Gandhi, it won't just be part of a wave, it will be a sea change.
Sonia Gandhi is not just an individual, she is the steely core of a pillar of Indian politics. If she crumbles, it will shake the foundations of the venerable Congress Party, and possibly leave a gaping hole in the political scene. Meanwhile, a range of polarizing and regional parties are ready to rush in and stake their claim. Given the growing importance of India in our heavily globalized world, this is not just an Indian story, this is one all should be following very closely indeed
Read the full article at Huffington Post
Read Dr Subramanian Swamy's letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking sanction to prosecute Sonia Gandhi.
- Unnao Rape Victim, Set Ablaze By Men Accused Of Raping Her, Dies In Delhi
- 'Law Has Done Its Duty': Telangana Police On Killing Rape-Murder Accused
- Assembly Elections 2020: Does Arvind Kejriwal Have The X-Factor To Defend Delhi?
- Open Letter | Is This The Justice You Wanted, Ms Bachchan?
- IND Vs WI, 1st T20I: Kohli Rejects Entertainer Tag, Pollard Rues Execution
- How Naveen Patnaik Is Playing The Games To Make Odisha A Soft Power
- A Precursor To 'Resort Politics' That Began In 1984 As NTR Foiled Indira's Bid To Dethrone Him
- Given Opportunity, BSNL Can Emerge As Top Telecom Company From Turmoil
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- 2nd Phase Voting Begins In Jharkhand, CM Raghubar Das Faces Ex-Colleague
- ‘Had British Behaved Like T'gana Police, They'd Have Shot Bhagat Singh’
- 'More Than Meets The Eye': Ex-Top Cop Raises Questions On T'gana Encounter
- Child Rape Convicts Should Not Have Right To File Mercy Petition: President
- Uttar Pradesh: Woman Shot In Face After She Stops Dancing At Wedding
- In Valley That Lives Under Shadow Of Gun, Getting Education Is Toughest Lesson
- Day After Being Set On Fire, Unnao Rape Survivor Extremely Critical
- Caroline Wozniacki To Retire After 2020 Australian Open