No Humour In Poll Season
That elections in Punjab are fast-approaching is getting manifested even in our foreign policy, it would seem:
India has strongly "objected" to the remark on the Golden Temple by popular US television host Jay Leno, terming it "quite unfortunate".
Leno, the host of the popular "The Tonight Show" on NBC channel, flashed a picture of the Golden Temple, the holiest Sikh shrine, in Amritsar on his programme and termed it as a possible summer home of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
The visiting NRI Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi yesterday "objected" to the remark and said he has directed Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao to take up the matter with the State Department.
"It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the...Golden temple," Ravi told a group of Indian reporters.
"Golden temple is Sikh community's most sacred place. Even our Prime Minister went there for praying in the New Year. I believe that the person who has shown is not that ignorant. The American Government should also look at this kind of thing," the NRI Affairs Minister said.
"I wish this kind of thing is not shown by any media in the US," Ravi said, adding that he has not seen the show personally and has heard about it from the Sikh community.
"Freedom does not mean hurt the sentiments of others... This is not acceptable to us and we take a very strong objection for such a display of an important place like Golden temple," Ravi said.
- 'If They Have Guts': PM Modi Dares Opposition To Bring Back Article 370
- 'Twisted Out Of Context': Ravi Shankar Prasad Retracts '3 Films Made...' Comment
- Counterfeit Drugs Market Leaves Regulators In Spin
- How Ray Kurzweil Predicted Biggest Feats In Technology Decades Ago
- Pune Test: Dominant India Humble South Africa, Clinch Series
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Bangladesh, Nepal Projected To Grow Faster Than India In 2019: World Bank
- Pope Francis Elevates Kerala-Born Nun Mariam Thresia To Sainthood
- Would Have Eliminated Terror Camps In Balakot Sitting In India, If...: Rajnath Singh
- In BJP's Haryana Manifesto, Collateral Free Loan To SCs, Interest-Free Loans To Farmers
- 'Dragon & Elephant Dance Only Correct Choice For India, China': Xi Jinping
- IND's Biggest Win Over SA & Record For Most Successive Home Series Victories
- For 3rd Time, Wrong Information ‘Kills’ Ex-India Test All-Rounder Abid Ali
- WATCH: Flying Saha Proves Why He Is World's Best Wicketkeeper