No Humour In Poll Season
That elections in Punjab are fast-approaching is getting manifested even in our foreign policy, it would seem:
India has strongly "objected" to the remark on the Golden Temple by popular US television host Jay Leno, terming it "quite unfortunate".
Leno, the host of the popular "The Tonight Show" on NBC channel, flashed a picture of the Golden Temple, the holiest Sikh shrine, in Amritsar on his programme and termed it as a possible summer home of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
The visiting NRI Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi yesterday "objected" to the remark and said he has directed Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao to take up the matter with the State Department.
"It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the...Golden temple," Ravi told a group of Indian reporters.
"Golden temple is Sikh community's most sacred place. Even our Prime Minister went there for praying in the New Year. I believe that the person who has shown is not that ignorant. The American Government should also look at this kind of thing," the NRI Affairs Minister said.
"I wish this kind of thing is not shown by any media in the US," Ravi said, adding that he has not seen the show personally and has heard about it from the Sikh community.
"Freedom does not mean hurt the sentiments of others... This is not acceptable to us and we take a very strong objection for such a display of an important place like Golden temple," Ravi said.
- Get Ready For Unsolicited Calls, Transport Ministry Is Selling Your Data To Commercial Firms
- Our Goal Is To Finish Off Terrorism, Says Amit Shah As Lok Sabha Passes NIA Amendment Bill
- Hit By Resignations, Congress- JD(S) Govt In Karnataka To Face Floor Test On Thursday
- With B L Santhosh As Party General Secretary, BJP Aims To Conquer Southern States
- Bumrah, Rohit In World Cup XI; Shakib Makes Cut, Four From England
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- BJP Will Form Govt in 4-5 Days, Says Yeddyurappa Ahead Of Floor Test
- Barkha Dutt Alleges Kapil Sibal, Wife Sacked '200 Employees'; Tiranga TV Says 'Honoured Every Contract'
- ‘There Must Be Discipline, Can't Refuse Portfolio’: Amarinder Singh On Sidhu
- Ex-PM Chandra Shekhar's Son Neeraj Shekhar Quits Rajya Sabha: Report
- Karnataka Rebel MLAs Camping In Mumbai Hotel Likely To Skip Trust Vote
- Rajasthan Court Ends Practice Of Addressing Judges As 'My Lord', 'Your Lordship'
- Pakistan's Anti-Terror Court Grants Pre-Arrest Bail To Hafiz Saeed
- Rohit In Gavaskar's World Cup XI; Williamson Captain; No Kohli, No Dhoni