Never Called Arundhati Roy A 'Joke': Ram Guha
Ramachandra Guha has written to clarify that the report about the remarks he was alleged to have made about Ms Roy in the Bangalore Mirror was a distortion, and that he has sent them a letter for publication. While the story continues to appear on the Bangalore Mirror website without any correction or reference to a letter, we are reproducing below the text of the letter enclosed by Mr Guha in full:
To the Editor,
I was dismayed to see the lead story in your newspaper today (29th October). I never called Arundhati Roy a 'joke', and yet a fictitious remark has been made into a sensationalist headline. I did, as correctly reported, question the wisdom of Ms Roy's associating herself with Islamic theocrats in Kashmir. However, the false and misleading headlines have converted a substantive issue of political judgement into imagined rivalries between individual writers.
When the Mirror’s reporter came to interview me, I insisted that he record the conversation. He did not do so, hence perhaps his resort to mistaken transcription or a fervid imagination. I am known to choose my words with precision, and do not ever use crude or comic language to characterize a person or idea. Ms Roy is not a ‘joke’, but a vigorous and somewhat one-sided polemicist.
Incidentally, the interview was granted on the express understanding that it was to be about my new book, Makers of Modern India. I wish the report had focused more on the book, which is about truly remarkable Indians, and less on the rivalries between two rather inconsequential writers.
- 'India's Soul Was Crushed On June 25, 1975': PM Modi Speaks About Emergency In Lok Sabha
- PMO Cuts Down Manmohan Singh's Office Staff To Five, Ignores Pleas By Former PM
- Live, ENG vs AUS: 86 From 54 Balls! Aussies Take Complete Control
- 'At Least He Quoted Nehru Today': Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury After PM Modi's Attack On Congress
- Jharkhand Man's Lynching 'Blot On Humanity', BJP Leaders' Silence On Matter 'Shocking': Rahul Gandhi
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- Terrorism, H-1B Visa, Iran Oil To Top Agenda Of Jaishankar-Pompeo Meet
- Mehul Choksi's Citizenship Will Be Revoked And He Will Be Deported To India: Antigua PM
- Bulandshahr: Man Runs Over Two Women After Trying To Molest Girl From Same Family
- Rahul To Meet Congress Leaders From All Poll-Bound States To Discuss Party's Preparedness
- After SP-BSP Call It Quits, Is Bihar Mahagathbandhan Also Destined To Meet Same Fate?
- Bihar: FIR Against 39 Men For Protesting Against AES Deaths, Lack Of Water Supply
- Editor-Owner Of Kashmir-Based Urdu Daily Arrested In 28-Year-Old Case; Court Grants Bail
- Bihar: Man Carries Son On Shoulder After No Ambulance At Hospital