Nehru And The Gandhis
Ramachandra Guha in the Hindustan Times:
the present president of the Congress has followed the example of Indira and Rajiv rather than Nehru. Thus, she was the chief guest at the inauguration of the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad in March 2008 — as well as the chief guest at the inauguration of the Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link in Mumbai in June 2009. Would Sonia Gandhi have acted differently had she known Jawaharlal Nehru’s views in this regard? One does not know. What we can say, with some certainty, is that she is unaware of the existence of Nehru’s letter to Prabhavati where his views on the matter were so clearly and firmly stated. For, while the Congress president has visited Patna several times, each time she would have stayed well clear of the home of a man she knew only as her mother-in-law’s most dogged political opponent.
At last count, some 400 government initiatives, institutions, projects and programmes were named after either Nehru, Indira or Rajiv. ...
Jawaharlal Nehru would surely have been appalled by this use (or misuse) of public money for furthering ancestor worship. His rectitude and propriety stands in striking contrast to the behaviour of later members of his family. But it stands in contrast to the attitude of most other Indians too. For instance, one of India’s best-known scientists actually attended the inauguration of a circle named after himself in Bangalore.
Read on at the Hindustan Times
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- How Modi-Shah Arithmetic Proved Opposition Calculus Wrong
- CBI Issues Look Out Notice Against Former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- Pak Foreign Minister Says Ready To Hold Talks With New India Govt
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Ex-village Head, Who Campaigned For Smriti Irani, Shot Dead In Amethi
- LS Poll Results LIVE: YSRCP Chief Jaganmohan Reddy Meets PM Modi
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- After Intel Reports On ISIS Boat, Kerala Coast On High Alert
- ICC World Cup: India Suffer Humiliating Six-Wicket Defeat Against New Zealand
- Over 700 People Homeless After Heavy Rain Lashes Tripura
- Once A Decorated Striker, Bhaichung Bhutia Yet To Dribble Past Political Opponents And Score
- Ex-Jet Airways Chairman Naresh Goyal, Wife Denied Permission To Travel Abroad In Mumbai