Nehru And The Gandhis
Ramachandra Guha in the Hindustan Times:
the present president of the Congress has followed the example of Indira and Rajiv rather than Nehru. Thus, she was the chief guest at the inauguration of the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad in March 2008 — as well as the chief guest at the inauguration of the Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link in Mumbai in June 2009. Would Sonia Gandhi have acted differently had she known Jawaharlal Nehru’s views in this regard? One does not know. What we can say, with some certainty, is that she is unaware of the existence of Nehru’s letter to Prabhavati where his views on the matter were so clearly and firmly stated. For, while the Congress president has visited Patna several times, each time she would have stayed well clear of the home of a man she knew only as her mother-in-law’s most dogged political opponent.
At last count, some 400 government initiatives, institutions, projects and programmes were named after either Nehru, Indira or Rajiv. ...
Jawaharlal Nehru would surely have been appalled by this use (or misuse) of public money for furthering ancestor worship. His rectitude and propriety stands in striking contrast to the behaviour of later members of his family. But it stands in contrast to the attitude of most other Indians too. For instance, one of India’s best-known scientists actually attended the inauguration of a circle named after himself in Bangalore.
Read on at the Hindustan Times
- 40 Lakh Living In Unauthorised Delhi Colonies To Get Ownership Rights; AAP Welcomes Move
- BSNL, MTNL Being Merged, Not Closed Or Divested, Says Centre
- BJP Confident Ahead Of Counting Of Votes In Maharashtra, Haryana
- #BoycottMuslims: When Hate Is Mainstreamed, It Becomes A National Trait
- Why 'Dhoni', 'Tendulkar' And 'Sindhu' Are Extremely Dangerous For You
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Delhi HC Grants Bail To Congress’ D K Shivakumar In Money Laundering Case
- 39 Dead Bodies Found In Truck Container In UK; Driver Arrested
- Human Rights Violation In Kashmir By India: Kashmiri-Origin Writer
- CBI Books Ex-Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat In Horse-Trading Case
- Markets Look For Signals Of Economic Revival In Corporate Earnings
- WATCH: BCCI President Ganguly Keeps India's 'Heart-Beat' Close To His Chest
- ISL, Match 4: Hot Favourites FC Goa Thrash Former Champs Chennaiyin 3-0
- BJP Set To Win Maha, Haryana, Yet Supporters Are Somewhat Cold. Why?