Music That Was Stopped At The Border
Pakistani ghazal maestro Gulam Ali's concert in Mumbai which was scheduled to be held on Oct 9 was cancelled after Shiv Sena threatened to disrupt it. Reason? As the Shiv Sena put it: "Pakistan has targeted Indian soldiers, decapitated them and returned their headless bodies, India should not be enjoying cultural relations with them."
Defending the concert which was a tribute to ghazal singer Jagjit Singh, Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had said that Ghulam Ali is welcome to perform in Mumbai. "The Maharashtra government is ready to give full protection to the singer. It is wrong to involve Ghulam Ali in Indo-Pak politics," he said.
"I'm not angry but very hurt. I have always got love in India," Ghulam Ali said. The Aam Aadmi party government in Delhi swooped in and invited the singer to perform in the national capital saying "music has no boundaries"
Whether Indians can enjoy Ghulam Ali live in concert or not seems to be entirely in the hands of political players, but here are five tracks by the maestro that you can enjoy sitting at home without any interference from non-musical entities. At least for now.
- Bihar Encephalitis Death Toll Rises To 113; SC To Hear Plea Calling For Experts' Team To Treat Kids
- PM Modi Chairs All-Party Meet On Simultaneous Polls, Congress, Others Skip
- 'I Am Going Through Pain Every Day, But Have To Run Govt Smoothly,' Says Kumaraswamy
- 'Credible Evidence' Linking Saudi Crown Prince To Jamal Khashoggi's Murder: UN Expert
- CWC 2019, NZ Vs SA: Trent Boult Gets Quinton De Kock Cheaply
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- 'Dragged Me Out, Tried To Break My Phone': Ex-Miss India After Being Attacked In Kolkata
- Union Minister Prahlad Patel's Son, Nephew Arrested For Attempt To Murder
- Congress Dissolves Karnataka State Committee Amid Rumblings
- Had Drunk Three Glasses Of Water, Doing Fine Now, Says Angela Merkel After Trembling Spell
- From Chelsea To Liverpool: Northeast's Different Ways Of Celebrating Their Favourite Club's victory
- On Rahul Gandhi's Birthday, PM Narendra Modi Wishes Him 'Good Health, Long Life'
- Maybe He's Gone To Watch World Cup: RJD Leader On Tejashwi's Silence Over Encephalitis Deaths
- Injured Shikhar Dhawan's ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Campaign Ends With A Whimper