Music That Was Stopped At The Border
Pakistani ghazal maestro Gulam Ali's concert in Mumbai which was scheduled to be held on Oct 9 was cancelled after Shiv Sena threatened to disrupt it. Reason? As the Shiv Sena put it: "Pakistan has targeted Indian soldiers, decapitated them and returned their headless bodies, India should not be enjoying cultural relations with them."
Defending the concert which was a tribute to ghazal singer Jagjit Singh, Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had said that Ghulam Ali is welcome to perform in Mumbai. "The Maharashtra government is ready to give full protection to the singer. It is wrong to involve Ghulam Ali in Indo-Pak politics," he said.
"I'm not angry but very hurt. I have always got love in India," Ghulam Ali said. The Aam Aadmi party government in Delhi swooped in and invited the singer to perform in the national capital saying "music has no boundaries"
Whether Indians can enjoy Ghulam Ali live in concert or not seems to be entirely in the hands of political players, but here are five tracks by the maestro that you can enjoy sitting at home without any interference from non-musical entities. At least for now.
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Take Stroll, Attend Cultural Performances In Mamallapuram
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' Tripura & Other North-East Units
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Awarded To Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- Chinese Flags Burnt In Guwahati As Xi Jinping Arrives In India
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- 'Shame On Us': Aparna Sen Tweets To 'Madam CM' Over Bengal Murders
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab