Mr Modi's Troubles With The Family
Writing in the Hindustan Times, Swapan Dasgupta explains Narendra Modi’s absence from last week’s BJP national executive:
The decision to stay away from last week’s meeting was over an issue that may strike people as very trivial: it was a protest against BJP president Nitin Gadkari’s decision to quietly rehabilitate former organisation secretary Sanjay Joshi. The Modi-Joshi spat dates back to the politics of Gujarat in the mid-1990s when Modi was packed off to Delhi and made to feel unwelcome in his home state, where Joshi ran the organisation. Following Modi’s triumphant return in 2001, Joshi was hastily shifted out of Gujarat, elevated to a national post in Delhi and then abruptly removed in 2006 following an unsavoury sex scandal...
In questioning Joshi’s resumption of an active leadership role in the BJP, Modi was doing more than questioning Gadkari’s judgement. Joshi, after all, wasn’t just any other apparatchik; he was an erstwhile RSS pracharak (full-timer) from Nagpur whose return to political life had been authorised by the RSS top brass. In questioning Joshi’s return, Modi was simultaneously questioning the right of the RSS to decide political appointments in the BJP...
Modi’s open defiance of a RSS whip is calculated to throw Nagpur into a tizzy. There are whispers in the Sangh of the need to prevent Modi from holding a strategic veto. A bitter war of attrition between an over-bearing Parivar and a mass leader could be in the offing, with ominous consequences for the BJP. Modi, after all, is questioning the RSS claim to be more equal than the others.
The conflict is likely to crystallise over the leadership question for the next general election..
Read the full piece at the Hindustan Times: Muscling his way in
- Bangladesh, Nepal Projected To Grow Faster Than India In 2019: World Bank
- Counterfeit Drugs Market Leaves Regulators In Spin
- 'Dragon And Elephant Dance Only Correct Choice For India, China': Xi Jinping
- Delhi's Air Quality 'Poor' For 4th Consecutive Day After Stubble Burning In Punjab, Haryana
- Live - India v South Africa, 2nd Test: Ashwin, Jadeja Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- In BJP's Haryana Manifesto, Collateral Free Loan To SCs, Interest-Free Loans To Farmers
- Imran Khan To Discuss Kashmir With Ayatollah Khamenei, Hassan Rouhani In Iran
- 'No Economic Slowdown,' Says Govt, Cites Earnings Of 3 Movies
- Women Exempted From Odd-Even Rule, No Relief For CNG Cars: Delhi Govt
- Boxing Worlds: Rani Enters Final; Mary, Jamuna Settle For Bronze
- All Postpaid Mobile Phone Services To Be Restored In Kashmir From Monday
- For 3rd Time, Wrong Information ‘Kills’ Ex-India Test All-Rounder Abid Ali
- WATCH: Flying Saha Proves Why He Is World's Best Wicketkeeper