Modi NAMA (Narendra's Acronyms & Mindless Alliterations)
Narendra Modi has a thing for selfies, everyone knows that by now. But there is something else he is fond of, it’s almost a hobby. Modi loves coming up with the most bizarre acronyms and alliterations. Whether he is on a diplomatic mission to some foreign land or launching a scheme or addressing a rally, acronyms just pour out of him like verse from a poetic soul.
Now that he has been the Prime Minister of India for almost a year, here’s a look at all the schemes and acronyms that he has subjected his subjects to:
NMET — National Mineral Exploration Trust
Technically, a new seed trust to promote more exploration of non-coal minerals. But looked in the context of the Modi government’s view on progress-versus-environment, it acquires a more sinister dimension.
USTTAD — Upgrading Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development
Flagship welfare scheme aimed at upgrading and promoting the skills of artisans from minority communities. Modi launched it in Varanasi and said it was very "close to his heart"
NERPAP — National Electoral Roll Purification and Authentication Programme.
He is obviously aiming for a totally error free and authenticated electoral rolls. It is important here to remind readers about the BJP’s massive protests about EVM tampering before the 2014 General Elections result.
AMRUT — Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation
Move over chacha Nehru. Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM)'s second phase is here to rejuvenate India’s 500 cities and it is named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee. But don’t try asking anyone exactly what is a smart city…
HRIDAY — Heritage Development and Augmentation Yojana
For the preservation and rejuvenation of India's rich cultural heritage, focusing not just on maintenance of monuments but also on advancement of the entire ecosystem including its citizens, tourists and local businesses. Unsaid, but implicit is an entire chapter on Maharana Pratap in the history books and a paragraph or two about Akbar.
PaHaL — Pratyaksha Hastaantarit Laabh
Don't spend too much time in trying to pronounce the second word. Simply put, it means that LPG cylinders are sold at market rates and entitled consumers get the subsidy directly into their bank accounts.
PRAGATI — Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation
Basically a platform where Narendra Modi holds monthly meetings with Secretaries of Government of India and the Chief Secretaries of the States. So, here’s another attempt at giving India a unitary structure.
NITI — National Institution for Transforming India
The Planning Commission’s replacement. As long as the acronym means something in Hindi, it is working towards national good. And anyway, who would think of looking up what NITI actually stands for?
• S for strict but sensitive
• M for modern and mobile
• A for alert and accountable
• R for reliable and responsive
• T for techno-savvy and trained
Phew. So that's how our policemen should be. Now imagine the pot-bellied cop down at the chowki who has just had a grand meal of chhole kulche and is now sitting in stupor picking dirt out of his ears, and think how smart he is!
ROAD — Responsibility, Ownership, Accountability, Discipline
Modi's mantra for success given at a Make in India workshop.
B2B — Bharat to Bhutan (could also be used for Bangladesh)
Refers to the dil to dil connection that Modi feels for Bhutan. Could have been any other country, really.
INCH towards MILES — India-China towards a Millennium of Exceptional Synergy
Modi's master plan for the future of India-China relations.
HIT — Highways, Informationways, Transmissionways
Things Modi wants to hit Nepal with. Unfortunately (and now we should not be kidding about this) mother earth beat him to it.
P2G2 — Pro People Good Governance
This is not referring to Karan Johar's next venture. This is what Modi said his government is focused on. Of course, this was before he decided he wanted the land bill passed.
5Ts — talent, tradition, tourism, trade, technology
Apparently these five Ts can develop India. Perhaps, 6 Ts would be better. The last one would stand for Tolerance.
5Cs — Collect River Water, Connect rivers, Channelize water, Control local water, Community participation
These 5Cs can help water conservation. Of course there is also Cleaning involved. But for that he has another scheme.
4 Ps: People, Private, Public Partnership
Modi wants India to move from PPP to PPPP.
There is another P that Modi ji is very fond of — Publicity.
- Supreme Court Says Aadhaar Constitutionally Valid, But Not Everyone Can Seek Access
- Aadhaar Gives Identity To Marginalised Sections Of Society: Top Quotes By SC
- Supreme Court Refuses To Review Its Order On Quota In Job Promotions
- SC Says Linking Aadhaar To Bank Accounts, Mobile Phones Not Compulsory
- Get Sleepless Nights When A Soldier Is Martyred: Rajnath
- What Nightlife, Cricket And Cinemas Have To Do With Kashmir Solution
- The Fitness Of An Actress Is No Virtue To Be Extolled By Misogynistic Bollywood
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- India A Free Nation, Lifting Millions Out Of Poverty: Trump
- US: TV Icon Bill Cosby Sentenced Prison For Three To Ten Years, Termed As “Sexually Violent Predator”
- Chopped Body Of Minor Girl Found In Bags In Delhi Drain, Boyfriend Arrested
- Padma Lakshmi Says She Was Raped At 16, But She Kept Silent
- Lady Constable Seen Thrashing Woman For Befriending Muslim, Suspended
- 2019 Polls: As BJP Sticks To Ram, SP Picks Vishnu, Cong Shiva For Luck
- PM Modi, Rahul Gandhi Greet Manmohan Singh On His 86th Birthday
- Drunk Passenger Tries To Enter IndiGo Cockpit To Charge Phone, Taken Off The Flight