'Modi ji, Imagine If Shabana Azmi Or Rahul Dravid Were Your Ambassadors'
Ramesh Thakur, a professor at Australian National University has written an open letter to the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
In his letter (read full), Thakur writes that while Modi coming to power has been a general boost for the country's morale, his actual accomplishments remain rather modest.
He mentions four areas that he thinks Modi should worry about -- Law ministry, Bureaucratic reformation, finance and education.
He also expresses surprise at Modi's choice of ambassador to Washington and he writes:
I was disappointed you did not choose a noncareer diplomat as ambassador to Washington. Your diplomats are individually brilliant, but their collective impact amounts to the whole being less than the sum of the parts. Quadruple the entry into the foreign service immediately and then be increasingly selective in performance-based promotions.
In all walks of life, some promising people disappoint, others burn out early and others blossom late. Choose proven performers from business, journalism, universities, the defense forces, sports and the arts to fill up to one-quarter of your ambassadorships. Imagine the impact if a famous actress like Shabana Azmi or a legendary cricketer like Rahul Dravid were your ambassadors to Washington and London. They are individuals with proven character traits of integrity, conviction, maturity, dignity and tact. Their access to all sectors of society in the host countries would be the envy of other ambassadors.
Do you think popular faces like Shabana Azmi and Rahul Dravid would make better ambassadors to foreign countries?
- Ranbaxy And The Culture Of Jugaad: What Brought A Leading Company Down
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed Six Family Members Meal By Meal
- Ranbaxy Former Promoter Shivinder Singh Arrested In Fraud Case
- Erdogan Threatens To Flood EU With Refugees If It Criticises Syria Operation
- India v SA, Pune Test: Agarwal, Kohli Help Hosts Dominate On Day 1
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Spurious Drugs Flooding Indian Market, Says Author Katherine Eban
- RBI, Govt To Discuss Shortcomings In Co-Op Bank Laws: Sitharaman
- After Syria, Will Trump’s 'Unmatched Wisdom' Show Up In Afghanistan Next?
- Will Modi Raise Return Of Aksai Chin With Xi? Asks Congress' Manish Tewari
- Olga Tokarczuk Wins 2018 Literature Nobel, Peter Handke Wins 2019 Award
- 'Critical Reflection Of State Of Affairs': Governor On RSS Worker's Murder
- IND Vs SA, 2nd Test: Mayank Agarwal Emulates Legendary Virender Sehwag
- Loose Lips Sink Ships: Self-Aggrandising Pandya Makes A Fool Of Himself