MaHa Results: Reactions
- From being the number 3 party in Maharashtra, the BJP emerged as the largest party, with 122 out of the 288 seats in the House.
- BJP's erstwhile alliance partner Shiv Sena had offered it a total of 119 seats to contest.
- This is the first time that a party has got more than 100 seats on its own in Maharashtra since 1990 when the Congress got 141 seats.
- From being the ruling party, the Congress is reduced to No 3 place in both the states.
- The No 2 party Shiv Sena too improved upon its 2009 showing winning 63 seats, it still fell short of its best performance in the 1995 poll when it had won 73 seats
- This is the Congress's worst performance in Maharashtra. Since 1960, when Maharashtra was formed, the Congress has always been in power, barring the Sena-BJP rule in 1995-99 and 580-day stint of Sharad Pawar-led Progressive Democratic Front government between July 18, 1978, and February 17, 1980.
- Raj Thackeray's MNS, which many thought will be the X-factor in the poll, was nearly decimated as it managed to win just one seat as against the 13 it had earlier.
- Hyderabad-based MIM has opened its account in Maharashtra winning two seats.
- In Haryana, the BJP had never got more than 10 per cent of the votes and played second fiddle to regional partners ended up with 33.2 per cent of the votes and 47 seats to get a clear majority in the 90-member House
- The BJP does not have any state leader of note and with only a skeletal party structure, it depended entirely on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s charisma.
Some of the reactions on Twitter:
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Farooq Abdullah, Ex-Jammu And Kashmir CM, Detained Under Public Safety Act
- 'Will Visit J&K HC': CJI Gogoi On Allegations That People Are Unable To Approach Court
- 'No Shah, Sultan Or Samrat Should...': Kamal Haasan Jabs Amit Shah On Hindi Push
- 'No 56 Can Stop You': Karti Chidambaram Takes A Dig At PM Modi As He Wishes Father On Birthday
- 'Restore Normalcy In Jammu And Kashmir,' SC Tells Centre
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- On PM Modi's Birthday, Ahmedabad Schools Directed To 'Celebrate' Abrogation Of Article 370
- SC Gives Notice To Centre, J&K On Plea For Producing Farooq Abdullah Before Court
- SC Allows Ghulam Nabi Azad To Visit 4 Districts Of Jammu And Kashmir
- Guardian’s List Of Top 100 Movies Pricks Bollywood’s Content-Rich Era Bubble
- 'Teen-aged Children Are Being Detained, Tortured; Nothing Is Normal In J&K': Owaisi
- Pakistan Says It Plans To Send Its First Astronaut To Space In 2022 With China's Help
- In Snow-Clad Ladakh, Khenrab Phutsog Works To Save The Elusive Snow Leopard
- Ashes: Stokes Not Interested In England 'What Ifs' After Series Draw