Lauren Bacall, Hollywood's Icon Of Cool, Dies At 89
With deep sorrow, yet with great gratitude for her amazing life, we confirm the passing of Lauren Bacall. pic.twitter.com/B8ZJnZtKhN— BogartEstate (@HumphreyBogart) August 12, 2014
Lauren Bacall (born Betty Joan Perske) was 89, but for the fans of classic Hollywood films, she would forever be remembered for her distinctive husky voice and sultry looks that were first heard and seen in her 1944 screen debut To Have and Have Not, when she famously met Bogart and "taught him how to whistle."
‘You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.’
Bogart, who was 25 years older than his seductive co-star and married at the time, divorced his wife a short time after the movie's released and married Bacall in Ohio in 1945.
She continued on in the film noir genre, with appearances in Bogart movies The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947), and Key Largo (1948).
When Bogart died from throat cancer in 1957, Bacall placed a whistle in his coffin.
Comedy roles in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) with Marilyn Monroe and Designing Woman (1957) with Gregory Peck further cemented her place as an all-time great.
She worked on Broadway in musicals, gaining Tony Awards for Applause in 1970 and Woman of the Year in 1981. She won a Golden Globe for The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996) which also earned her an Academy Award nomination.
Bacall was ranked #20 of the 25 actresses on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Stars list by the American Film Institute in 1999.
In 2009, she was selected by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to receive an Academy Honorary Award "in recognition of her central place in the Golden Age of motion pictures."
- Pakistan Piggybacks On Arundhati Roy To Lash Out At India
- Pak Uses Gaza War Pic As Face Of 'Indian Democracry'
- All Govts 'Opportunists', Says Arundhati Roy After Pakistan Uses Her Statement To Slam India At UNGA
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Film Producer Karim Morani Sent To Judicial Custody Till Oct 6 In Rape Case
- More Than 200 Dead After Powerful Earthquake Hits Central Mexico
- 22 Bars And Eateries Sealed In Delhi's Hauz Khas Village For Violation Of Pollution-Control Laws
- BSF Uses Local Intel, Language Skills And Chilli Spray To Stop Rohingya Influx
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED