Kerala Judiciary Creates History With Four Women Judges
In a historic moment for the state of Kerala, it will be the first time that the High Court will have four women sitting judges. On Thursday, Justice V Shircy joined sitting judges Justice P.V. Asha, Justice Anu Sivaraman and Justice Mary Joseph.
While Justice Shircy and Justice Mary Joseph were appointed from the bench, Justice Anu and Justice Asha were appointed from the bar.
And it is not the first time that the state has had female judges who have made their way into the upper echelons. Justice Anna Chandy was the first female High Court judge when she was appointed to the Kerala HC in February 1959. Recently, Justice M. Fathima Beevi, also from the coastal state, became the first Asian woman to be appointed judge at an apex court and was also the first Muslim woman at a higher judiciary.
Speaking to LiveLaw, Justice Beevi was quoted as saying that “It is a welcome step. When Mr HR Gokhale was the Law Minister of India he had initiated the steps to appoint several lady Judges in High Courts. I was at the lower judiciary at that time. The Supreme Court and the Government should appoint more women in the High Court because the proportion of lady Judges in High Courts is very low. It has to be raised”.
- PM Modi Welcomes Chinese President Xi Jinping In Mamallapuram
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' Tripura & Other North-East Units
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Awarded To Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- Chinese Flags Burnt In Guwahati As Xi Jinping Arrives In India
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- 'Shame On Us': Aparna Sen Tweets To 'Madam CM' Over Bengal Murders
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab