'Just Say Sorry'
T.N. Ninan in the Business Standard:
This is not to defend the indiscriminate reproduction of private conversations. Barkha Dutt, for instance, is entirely right to complain that Open magazine did not seek her comments before reprinting her conversations with Ms Radia; Vir Sanghvi would be right to make the same complaint. Others who are in the tapes and who were displayed on the cover of Outlook that featured the 2G scam, had nothing at all to do with the scam; they too have a valid complaint. And since gossip and the airing of loose judgements in casual conversation are indulged in by almost all journalists, those who are not on the tapes should be saying to themselves: There but for the grace of God…
Nor should one overstate the case against Mr Sanghvi and Ms Dutt, since neither is accused of being on the take. What they seem to have done is fall into the trap that beguiles well-known journalists, of thinking that they are important players rather than observers on behalf of their readers/viewers. It is also important to recognise that no one has accused Ms Dutt of tailoring her telecasts to suit Ms Radia, and she declares that she has not. Mr Sanghvi, who is by far the most gifted journalist of his generation, is in a trickier spot because his writing matches what he promised to do in his taped conversations, and you could be forgiven for raising an eyebrow when he argues now that they were his opinions anyway.
Read on at Business Standard
- Farooq Abdullah Slapped With PSA, An Act Introduced By His Father 42 Years Ago
- 'Will Visit J&K HC': CJI Gogoi On Allegations That People Are Unable To Approach Court
- 'No Shah, Sultan Or Samrat Should...': Kamal Haasan Jabs Amit Shah On Hindi Push
- 'No 56 Can Stop You': Karti Chidambaram Takes A Dig At PM Modi As He Wishes Father On Birthday
- 'Restore Normalcy In Jammu And Kashmir,' SC Tells Centre
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- On PM Modi's Birthday, Ahmedabad Schools Directed To 'Celebrate' Abrogation Of Article 370
- How Many Tuned Into Watch IND-PAK WC Match? These Numbers Will Stun You
- PM Modi To Meet His Nemesis Mamata Banerjee On September 18
- Guardian’s List Of Top 100 Movies Pricks Bollywood’s Content-Rich Era Bubble
- Case Against Two Vets For Death Of Pet Dog At Telangana CM's Residence
- Nifty 50, Sensex Start On Weak Note Due To Spike In Oil Prices
- In Snow-Clad Ladakh, Khenrab Phutsog Works To Save The Elusive Snow Leopard
- Ashes: Stokes Not Interested In England 'What Ifs' After Series Draw