John Dayal Vs Hindutva Trolls
Delhi-based journalist and human rights activist John Dayal seems to have become the new target for Hindutva trolls on the internet.
Even though he has often been the subject of such hostile attention, there has been a sharp spurt in the attacks via Twitter with the #ShameOnJohnDayal hashtag trending wildly.
The reason? The principal of a school in Mumbai had been arrested for molesting one of the students and John Dayal pointed out that the owners of the school were known to be associated with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Terrible. Irrelevant that owners are BJP big shots. Need zero tolerance https://t.co/O79d00lg48— JohnDayal (@JohnDayal) September 11, 2015
Thus began the spewing of hatred and venom that has become a characteristic of disagreements that take place on social media.
For some reason, the trolls seemed to believe that he was attacking their religion and therefore they had the moral responsibility of defending theirs by making lewd comments against his, only to further misconstrue his replies to justify what they believed in the first place.
We are trending #ShameOnJohnDayal right now. kindly tweet/RT/reply. He is Padri in Kerala and abusing RSS &Hindus on twitter.— SanghArmy (@SanghArmy) September 12, 2015
John Dayal's daughter, Karuna John, writes in the Scroll:
Unfortunately, those who threaten and abuse on social media have now begun to act on them. The brutal murders, most recently of academic, activist MM Kalburgi in Karnataka last month, followed by death threats to Mysore-based rationalist KS Bhagawan, are a testimony to the fact. Or, in the recent past, the murders of Pune-based rationalist Narendra Achyut Dabholkar, and how can we forget the murder of activist-rationalist Govind Pansare?
Kavita Krishnan, secretary of the All India Progressive Women's Association, has launched a petition addressed to the commissioner of police, Delhi, urging him to "provide adequate and prompt protection to Dayal, and take immediate measures to identify and arrest all those making threats or indulging in hate speech against him".
Krishnan's petition notes:
Dayal, known for his committed struggle against communalism and bigotry and his defence of democracy and peace, is being subjected to an unrelenting hate campaign on social media. The trolls, all supporters of the Indian prime minister, the BJP and RSS, have even gone to the extent of making public his personal contact details - thereby creating a clear and present danger for him
- At Amit Shah's 'Thanksgiving' Dinner To NDA Allies, PM Modi Says 'People Fought These Lok Sabha Polls'
- EC Must Put All Speculations To Rest: Pranab Mukherjee On EVM Tampering Row
- 22 Opposition Parties Move Election Commission Over Reports Of EVM Tampering
- CWC 2019: Ravi Shastri Hails 'Fantastic' Communication between Virat Kohli And MS Dhoni
- 'Accept Defeat With Grace': BJP Slams Opposition Over EVM Tampering Claims
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh, 10 Others Killed By Suspected Militants In Tirap
- 'Will Even Take Up Arms To Protect Our Vote Against Rigging:' Upendra Kushwaha On EVM Tampering Row
- Dissent In Model Code Violation Cases Will Not Be Made Public, says EC
- Madhya Pradesh Govt May Reopen Murder Case Involving Pragya Singh Thakur
- No Restriction On Civilian Movement On Jammu-Srinagar Highway From May 27
- Karnataka Congress Leader Appeals Muslims To 'Join Hands' With BJP If Need Arises
- Saradha Case: SC Rejects Former Kolkata Top Cop Rajeev Kumar's Plea
- Anil Ambani's Reliance To Withdraw Rs 5,000-Crore Defamation Suit Against Congress Leaders