Is The UPA Suddenly Turning Reformist?
The Prime Minister insists that the decision to hike fuel prices "was much needed reforms" not taken under any pressure
Writing in the Telegraph, Ashok V. Desai* tells us not to believe any such thing:
The timing of the decision suggests a connection with the meeting of the Group of 20 last Sunday.
The recent camaraderie between the government and Reliance is relevant here. The Ambani brothers entered an agreement to divide up the Reliance empire in 2005. Soon they quarrelled, and their rows ended up in courts. The Central government quite gratuitously asked the courts to allow it to intervene, and did so systematically in favour of Mukesh’s Reliance. Such uncalled-for and inappropriate favours are generally not made out of a generosity of heart; interests and influence are usually involved. The government’s concern did not confine itself to the fraternal conflict; it spilled over, as will be seen, to the decision on pricing
Read the full piece
*Please note he is not a "leftist". Nor is he a Hindutwit, as he always delights in describing the Hindutva-walas. He in fact was the chief consultant in the finance ministry from 1991 till 1993, when he helped Manmohan Singh with the reforms.
- 'India's Soul Was Crushed On June 25, 1975': PM Modi Speaks About Emergency In Lok Sabha
- PMO Cuts Down Manmohan Singh's Office Staff To Five, Ignores Pleas By Former PM
- CWC 2019: Australia In Semis, England In Disarray
- 'At Least He Quoted Nehru Today': Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury After PM Modi's Attack On Congress
- Jharkhand Man's Lynching 'Blot On Humanity', BJP Leaders' Silence On Matter 'Shocking': Rahul Gandhi
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- Terrorism, H-1B Visa, Iran Oil To Top Agenda Of Jaishankar-Pompeo Meet
- Mehul Choksi's Citizenship Will Be Revoked And He Will Be Deported To India: Antigua PM
- Bulandshahr: Man Runs Over Two Women After Trying To Molest Girl From Same Family
- Rahul To Meet Congress Leaders From All Poll-Bound States To Discuss Party's Preparedness
- After SP-BSP Call It Quits, Is Bihar Mahagathbandhan Also Destined To Meet Same Fate?
- Bihar: FIR Against 39 Men For Protesting Against AES Deaths, Lack Of Water Supply
- Editor-Owner Of Kashmir-Based Urdu Daily Arrested In 28-Year-Old Case; Court Grants Bail
- Bihar: Man Carries Son On Shoulder After No Ambulance At Hospital