Outlook's Cover Story on Prof Saibaba by Arundhati Roy
Suspended Delhi University professor G N Saibaba, arrested for alleged Maoist links, was today granted temporary bail for three months by the Bombay High Court considering his deteriorating health condition.
In May 2015, Outlook carried a cover story by Arundhati Roy on the professor who taught English at Ramlal Anand College:
"Why did they abduct him in this way when they could easily have arrested him formally, this professor who happens to be wheelchair-bound and paralysed from his waist downwards since he was five years old? There were two reasons: First, because they knew from their previous visits to his house that if they picked him up from his home on the Delhi University campus they would have to deal with a crowd of angry people—professors, activists and students who loved and admired Professor Saibaba not just because he was a dedicated teacher but also because of his fearless political worldview. Second, because abducting him made it look as though they, armed only with their wit and daring, had tracked down and captured a dangerous terrorist. The truth is more prosaic..."
On the professor's deteriorating health conditions in prison, Roy wrote:
"In the year he’s been in prison, his physical condition has deteriorated alarmingly. He is in constant, excruciating pain. (The jail authorities have helpfully described this as “quite normal” for polio victims.) His spinal cord has degenerated. It has buckled and is pushing up against his lungs. His left arm has stopped functioning."
Professor Saibaba has been charged under the UAPA, Sections 13 (taking part in/advocating/abetting/inciting the commission of unlawful activity), Section 18 (conspiring/attempting to commit a terrorist act), Section 20 (being a member of a terrorist gang or organisation), Section 38 (associating with a terrorist organisation with intention to further its activities) and Section 39 (inviting support and addressing meetings for the purpose of encouraging support for a terrorist organisation.)
- Live Updates | P Chidamabarm Sent To CBI Custody Till Aug 26
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- OPINION | 'Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave'
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Pakistan Says Kartarpur Corridor Will Be Opened In November
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case