Intolerance In India Would Have Shocked Gandhiji: Obama
Few days after US President Barack Obama made a strong pitch for religious tolerance in India in his farewell speech at the Siri Fort, he invoked India and Gandhi again in his speech at the White House, at National Prayer Breakfast.
Michelle and I returned from India -- an incredible, beautiful country, full of magnificent diversity -- but a place where, in past years, religious faiths of all types have, on occasion, been targeted by other peoples of faith, simply due to their heritage and their beliefs -- acts of intolerance that would have shocked Gandhiji, the person who helped to liberate that nation.
The focal point of his speech was crimes in the name of religion.
He also mentioned the Peshawar school massacre, Charlie Hebdo killings, brutality of the ISIL, and also talked about the history of slavery in his own country.
In special reference to the Dalai Lama, Obama praised him for spreading the message of love.
See the full speech here.
- Exit Polls: Dream ‘Shattered’ For Ambitious ‘Kingmakers’ Naidu And KCR
- Exit Polls Indicate Modi's Narrative Strikes A Chord With Indian Voters
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Congress
- Exit Poll Results: Narendra Modi Projected To Return As PM; NDA Headed For Landslide Victory
- BJP Has A Lot To Cheer As Exit Polls Predict Big Blow To Naveen Patnaik's BJD In Odisha
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Sensex Climbs Over 960 Points After Exit Polls
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Mahagathbandhan In Bihar
- Exit Polls Predict No Seat For PDP In Jammu & Kashmir
- Exit Polls Give BJP Clear Lead In Karnataka
- EC Takes Action Against Polling Officer In Chandni Chowk For Not Deleting Test Votes
- PDP Activist Critical After Militant Attack In Jammu And Kashmir's Kulgam
- 900 Posts Removed From Social Media Platforms During LS Polls: EC
- SAD Chief Sukhbir's Daughter, First Time Voter, Gets Notice For Wearing Party Badge