Intolerance In India Would Have Shocked Gandhiji: Obama
Few days after US President Barack Obama made a strong pitch for religious tolerance in India in his farewell speech at the Siri Fort, he invoked India and Gandhi again in his speech at the White House, at National Prayer Breakfast.
Michelle and I returned from India -- an incredible, beautiful country, full of magnificent diversity -- but a place where, in past years, religious faiths of all types have, on occasion, been targeted by other peoples of faith, simply due to their heritage and their beliefs -- acts of intolerance that would have shocked Gandhiji, the person who helped to liberate that nation.
The focal point of his speech was crimes in the name of religion.
He also mentioned the Peshawar school massacre, Charlie Hebdo killings, brutality of the ISIL, and also talked about the history of slavery in his own country.
In special reference to the Dalai Lama, Obama praised him for spreading the message of love.
See the full speech here.
- With Solih's Win, Maldives Journey To Become A Truly Democratic Republic Begins
- 100 Years Of Battle Of Haifa: A Greater Cause For Celebration Than Surgical Strike
- Photo Essay | Deserted Kashmiri Pandit Homes Caught In Haunting Time Capsule
- `Chowkidar' Has Committed `Chori': Rahul Attacks Modi Over Rafale Deal
- Navy Officer Abhilash Tomy, Stranded In Indian Ocean, Rescued
- The Fitness Of An Actress Is No Virtue To Be Extolled By Misogynistic Bollywood
- Why Railways' Largest Recruitment Drive May Fail To Address Passenger Safety Concerns
- Article 35A: An Unprecedented Situation In Kashmir
- Four Months Of Kumaraswami Govt: Karnataka Power Games Carry On
- Prashant Kishor No Exception, Nitish Has Always Relied On 'Apolitical' Advisors
- With A Formidable BJP, Is Mamata Worried About Hindu Votes?
- Pakistan's 'One-Trick Pony' Act On Kashmir Has No Resonance At UN, Says India
- J&K: 3 Militants, Soldier Killed In Anti-Infiltration Operation At LoC In Kupwara
- Termite Remark: Bangladesh Minister Hits Back, Says We Don't Give Importance To Amit Shah
- Pakistan Court Summons Nawaz Sharif In Treason Case Over Mumbai Attack Remarks
- In Pics: Extremely Rare Two-Headed Snake Found In Virginia
- ‘Not All Of Them Are Terrorists’: Pak On India’s Objection To Burhan Wani Postal Stamps
- 'Pak Wants To Bleed India With Thousand Cuts', Says Army Chief Gen. Rawat
- Watch: Bus Washed Away By Overflowing Beas Water In Manali