India Today Group: Shekhar Gupta Designated Editorial Advisor
Shekhar Gupta, who had been appointed as Vice Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of all news properties of the India Today Group effective July 1, 2014, has been designated as Editorial Advisor to the India Today Group.
In his first stint, Gupta joined India Today in 1983 and worked there till 1995 when he left to take charge of The Indian Express group. His return had been announced by Aroon Purie, founder chairman of the magazine group in late June:
He will report to me and will be responsible for the editorial quality of all our news and business brands, and our overall expansion and profitability. He will work closely with Ashish Bagga, Group CEO, and enable him to effectively grow the readership and viewership of our brands, profitably...
I have always believed: create good content and money will follow. That will be the principle behind another project that I greatly look forward to with Shekhar’s arrival: the launch of some new editorial offerings that will uniquely blend the best of reporting and analysis.
In his new role, Shekhar has promised to liberate me from day-to-day operations so that I can work to guiding the group into a future of great promise, growth and excitement.
Just as the two months of Gupta's editorship came to an end, in a brief statement today, Purie announced that he was back to day-to-do operations and resuming responsibilities as Editor-in-Chief:
Shekhar has spent the last two months getting to know the organization, and we him. After much thought and discussion, we have decided to restructure our arrangement to our mutual benefit.
From today, I will resume the responsibilities of Editor-in-Chief and he will be Editorial Advisor to the India Today Group even as he pursues his creative and entrepreneurial interests.
His widely read weekly column, National Interest, will continue to be published plus other long form articles, which he will write exclusively for the magazine. Shekhar, a dear personal friend, remains passionate to the India Today Revamp Project and will support me and the team. He will attend India Today weekly news meetings to brainstorm with us. He will be available to all of you as a sounding board, critic, and mentor.
Vidhi Choudhary adds in Live Mint:
Speculation is rife that Rajdeep Sardesai, former editor-in-chief at IBN Network, is likely to be appointed as editorial director for the group.
Sruthijith KK adds in Quartz: Shekhar Gupta’s editorship at India Today group comes to premature end
Gupta declined to comment for this story, except to quash speculation that his redesignation was a result of personality clashes with Kalli Purie, the chairman’s daughter and chief operating officer at the company.
“There is no question of it. I have had the most cordial, respectful and positive interactions with her. It will be grossly unfair and fallacious to attribute any changes in my role here to the relationship between me and her,” Gupta said.
- Karnataka Crisis Live Updates: Speaker KR Ramesh Kumar Says Trust Vote By 6PM Today
- Mumbai MTNL Building Fire: All 84 People, Stranded On Terrace, Rescued
- Lok Sabha Passes RTI Amendment Bill; 'Dark Day For Democracy,' Says Opposition
- Chandrayaan-2, India's Historic Moon Mission, Launched; ISRO Says 'Perfect Lift-off'
- World Cup Of Test Cricket: Format And Schedule
- If Chandrayaan-2 Is Successful, India Will Grab Headlines Globally -- For A Positive Reason
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- If You Respect Constitution, Resign And Go Home: BJP Tells Kumaraswamy
- Russian Air Strikes On Syria Market Kill 27: Monitor
- From Stars To Moon: Meet Chandrayaan-2 Mission Director Ritu Srivastava
- 'India At Heart, India In Spirit,' Says PM Narendra Modi On Chandrayaan-2 Launch
- Centre’s Unresponsive Stance On Dec 16 Gangrape Shifted Focus On Delhi Govt: Sheila Dikshit In Autobiography
- WATCH | 'Didn't Become MP To Clean Drains, Toilets': BJP MP Pragya Singh's Shocker
- Karnataka Crisis: Speaker Summons Rebel MLAs Tomorrow
- JK: Soldier Killed As Pakistan Violates Ceasefire Along LoC