'If You Are A Carpenter You Have Faith In Carpentry'
Tim Adams interviews Salman Rushdie for the Observer:
Would you describe yourself as an atheist?
Of course. It's all nonsense, and I've always thought it was. My father was like that too. The only religion that got into our house was that my mother didn't like eating pig: I never had the flesh of swine till I came to public school in England. I had a ham sandwich and was not killed by thunderbolts.
But you always had faith in stories?
It is what I do. I mean, if you are a carpenter you have faith in carpentry.
What did you make of the latest chapter, the news of Osama bin Laden's death?
I thought: good. It's about time. And of course I loved the fact that it turns out he enjoyed looking at pornography, and watching himself on TV – the more of a jerk he looks, the better for everyone. One of the likely consequences of the Arab spring is that al-Qaida immediately starts to look more irrelevant. It shows that this argument (which has been far too prevalent in the west) that there is a different set of criteria you have to use when you look at Muslim countries is bullshit. This is not an ideological revolution, or a theological one; it is a demand for liberty and jobs, desires and rights that are common to all human beings.
- Sharad Pawar Non-Committal On Sena Tie-Up In Maha, Says Only Discussed NCP-Cong With Sonia
- JNU Protest: Around 100 Students Detained, Some Injured In Police Lathicharge
- At Rajya Sabha’s 250th Session, PM Modi Praises NCP, BJD For Adhering To Parliamentary Norms
- Vodafone Idea, Airtel To Raise Tariffs From December 1
- 'Detention Illegal': Opposition Raises Farooq Abdullah's House Arrest In Lok Sabha
- One Hundred Days Of Solitude In Kashmir’s News World
- How T. N. Seshan's Poll Clean-up Operation Actually Helped Lalu Yadav In Bihar
- Domestic Violence Can Be Isolated, Repetitive Or Even Span Generations
- Bollywood’s Double Whammy For Bald People Is Regressive, Not Cool
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- 'Will Act Decisively, Punish Violators': Govt In High-Level Meet On Pollution
- Pawar's Response On Alliance With Sena Gives Maha Politics New Twist
- Sabarimala Redux: Marxists Caught Between Court, Ayyappa and Activists
- Odisha Could Emerge As Hottest Indian State By 2100, Experts Warn
- WATCH | BJP MP Gambhir Ready To Make 'Sweet Sacrifice' For Delhi
- 'Instruments Of Anonymous Donations': Cong Raises Questions On Electoral Bonds
- Kotla Mess: DDCA Boss Rajat Sharma Resigns, Then 'Assumes Charge'
- WC 2022 Qualifier: India Face Oman In Do-Or-Die Match