How Old Would Ambedkar Have Been This Year? Ask The BJP
Most newspapers all over the country have large advertisements marking the birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar, the politician-jurist who helped draft the Indian constitution and became an iconic figure for the country's Dalits. These ads proclaim, in a matter of fact manner, that this is the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar's.
They are wrong. Actually, they've just skipped a year. Just like that.
According to this article in the Telegraph, this is Ambedkar's 124th birth anniversary. His official date of birth is April 14, 1891, you see. Bureaucrats in government are aware of this numerical jugglery.
"They said the drive was the brainchild of a few prominent Dalit faces in the BJP, who wanted the hoardings and ads on the anniversary to mark it as Ambedkar's 125th — a more "rounded" figure and a standard subject of year-long celebrations. Dalit activists said the government's purported willingness to discuss the point in itself betrayed the BJP's desperation to co-opt the Ambedkar legacy."
The paper then contacted numerous Dalit politicians and activists. All of them agreed that this wasn't the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar's, and that this was just an indication of the desperation of the BJP to ingratiate themselves with the Dalits.
"There's also no doubt that this level of (government) celebrations for Dr Ambedkar is unprecedented in the history of India."
Ilaiah said: "Compared with the Congress, the BJP has had no history with Dalits. It's trying to build that history from scratch."
He suggested the alleged attempt to co-opt Ambedkar was part of the Sangh's idea of "consolidating Hinduism".
So, after leaping from 123rd to 125th year, what will the government do next April 14?
So while Delhi government totally fell for it, the Haryana government and the Dr. Ambedkar foundation, managed to keep out of the controversy by simply going neutral.
Meanwhile, the Punjab government got it absolutely right.
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Visit Ancient Sites, Attend Cultural Show During Informal Summit
- Incarcerated Omar Abdullah Meets His Sons After 68 Days
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- PM Modi Plays The Warm Tamil Host To Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' North-East Units
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab