How I Raped Your Mother
In a country where simply talking about an incident of rape is considered to be a taboo, marital rapes—non-consensual sex in a marital setup—legally and traditionally doesn't exist. So what idea of justice are we selling to our women who are victimised almost everyday just for stating their will against physical subjugation? TVF Girliyapa's latest video 'How I Raped Your Mother' takes on the grave issue in an edgy sitcom-type satire.
It explores the psyche of an Indian family— steeped in 'tradition'—on the idea of marital rape. When the family's own daughter complains of rape, they take it in a very light way and go as far as substituting the word 'rape' with 'intense lovemaking', and referring to it as the '17th shade' from Fifty Shades of Grey. It is a jocular take on Indian society that considers it is the husband's moral right to have sex with his wife— consent or no consent— what are wives for!
It also gives an insight to an Indian household at a crucial time when the nation is debating the issue. Minister of Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi, has changed her stance several times on the issue of criminalizing marital rapes and was quoted saying that the concept 'cannot be suitably implied in the Indian context'. The contemporary situation is such that the women who talk against marital rapes on social networking sites are regularly trolled and the ones demanding right for free sex are called adjectives.
Watch the full video here:
- When Planes Just Vanish Into Thin Air: The Story of Arunachal's Historic Deathtrap
- 'Bade' Misra, Chhote Mishra And Doval: The Big Three In PM Narendra Modi's Braintrust
- Mayawati Says BSP Will Fight All Future Elections On Its Own, Questions Behaviour Of SP
- Viral Acharya Quits As RBI Deputy Governor Six Months Before His Term Ends
- Jharkhand: Muslim Man Beaten By Mob For Hours, Forced To Chant 'Jai Shri Ram', Dies
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- Muzaffarpur Encephalitis Deaths: SC Directs Centre, Bihar Govt To File Response Within 7 Days
- Amit Shah's First Bill In Parliament Today On J&K Quotas
- BMC Declares Devendra Fadnavis' Bungalow As Defaulter, 18 Ministers Also Named
- Bankrupt Boris Becker Auctions Trophies To Pay Off Debts
- For Next 50 Years, Nobody Will Be Able To Dislodge BJP Govt In Centre, UP: Dy CM Maurya
- 7.3-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Indonesia, No Tsunami Threats Issued
- 20 Years Of Kargil War: IAF Turns Gwalior Air Base Into 'War Theatre'
- 16-Year-Old Girl Locked Up, Gang-Raped By 6 Men Including 3 Minors For Five Days In Andhra Pradesh