So our tradition of playlists on Holi continues. The above is still a work in process and I had meant to arrange it properly and link other versions and then post with more details and notes on the early 1900s songs of Gauhar Jan and Mohammad Bandi, but a Twitter hashtag #HoliBaithak started by P1J and @namrata_joshi has resulted in this rushed playlist.
I haven't yet included any of the many wonderful songs posted by others, but one tweeted by @uttaras desfinitely deserves to be included:
Kumar Gandharva's Rang Na Daro Shyamji
For previous playlists, just follow the tag Holi at the bottom of this post. I will try and include those also in the above updated list, as some of the musicindiaonline links seem to have changed.
- Gauhar Jaan: 1905: Alwar ke Kanhaiya...Raag Sindh Kafi, Hori
- Gauhar Jaan: 1905: Mere Husraat ne Madeene mein manayi Holi...
- Mohammad Bandi Holi (Hori) 1907
- Achhan Bai (Achhanbai) Song Holi 1910
- Achhan Bai (Achhanbai) Sings Holi in Rag Kafi 1910
- Indubala - na maro pichkari Old Indian Hindi Song Music
- K L Saigal holi| main jo dinan ki thori by ambindia
- K L Saigal holi 2 | jin jao gori aaj paniya bharan by ambindia
- Begum Akhtar: Holi Khail'an Kaisay Ja'un.
- Shobha Gurtu - Main to kheluungii
- Shobha Gurtu - Hori Khelan Kaise Jau
- Shobha Gurtu - Dadr- Rangi Saari Gulabi
- Shobha Gurtu - Kesariya Rang Daro
- Koushik Bhattacharya - Rangi Saari Gulabi
- Birju Maharaj - Kanha Khelo Kahan Aise Hori
- Sitara Devi - Bansi Bachawat
- Lata - Meerabai - Kinu sang khelu holi
- Geeta Dutt - Baat Chalat
- Rafi- Baat Chalat
- Shafqat Ali Khan - Baat Chalat - Tribute to his father Salaamat Ali Khaansaheb
- Girija devi - udat abeer gulal ( holi song )
- Girija Devi: Tum To Karat Barjori, Raag Kafi, Hori
- Aabida Parveen - Aaj piya holi khelan aaya
- Surendra Kumar - Mein To Khaloon Unhi Sang Holi Goiyan- Kajri
- Surendra Kumar - Phagun Aaeyl Re Ude Rang Abir Gulal - Kajri
- Surendra Kumar - Main To Kheloo Unhi Sang Holi
- Ustad Rashid Khan - Raag Basant
- Pandit - Bhimsen Joshi - Raga Basant - Bandish In Teental - Fagawa Brij Dekhan Ko
- Chhannulal Mishra: Khelein Masane Me Hori [Suggested also by Namrata Joshi]
#1 to 6 are special as they are both from the first decade of 1900s. Indubala, Mohammad Bandi and Achhan Bai were contemporaries of the legendary Gauhar Jaan, prima donna of early recordings of Indian music, about whom of course much has been written and said lately.
P1j suggested an Asha Bhosle companion song to #15, Lata's Meera bai: Kaa Sang Kheluun Phaag