Hindutva Jihad: 'If They Kill One Hindu, 100 Will Be...'
A video purportedly showing BJP's controversial Loksabha MP from Gorakhpur, Yogi Adityanath, making incendiary comments has brought the focus back on the BJP's Hindutva agenda and the attempts to polarise people on religious and communal lines.
In the video, which is undated, and is said to be made during the campaign for 2009 Loksabha elections, Adityanath is shown and heard saying first that he was very concerned about a court directive to Uttar Pradesh government to investigate why Hindu girls were going [eloping] with Muslim men.
He goes on to say that later he heard about an appeal by a Muslim man from Gorakhpur that while elsewhere in Uttar Pradesh Hindu girls might be eloping with Muslim men, in Gorakhpur it is the Muslim girls who end up in Hindu households. At this point the assembled crowd of men cheer wildly.
He talks about converting people to Hinduism and then says, "wo agar 1 Hindu baalikaa ko le jaayenge to kam se kam 100 Muslim baalikaaon ko... ["If they take one Hindu girl away, there will be at least 100 that we will..."] and then he pauses, as the crowd cheers and completes his sentence.
He does not just stop there and goes on to say, "agar vo ek Hindu ko maarenge to 100 ko hum bhi...[If they kill one Hindu, there will be 100 that we" and pauses, as the gathered crowd shouts: "maarenge [kill]"
"We will return whatever they do 100 folds, with interest," he is heard saying.
On being asked about this speech, he refused to confirm or deny it and said it was the media's responsibility to find out the autheticity of any video before showing it.
In the run up to the assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, while the BJP removed the controversial 'Love Jihad' from its resolution in a party meeting in Vrindavan last week, various Hindutva outfits and leaders continue to rake up the subject.
- In J&K, NC, PDP, Congress Explore Options To Form Govt; Altaf Bukhari Says 'Good News' Soon
- Amritsar Blast Case: One Arrested, Amarinder Singh Says Grenade Made In Pak
- A Course Correction Required, My Lord | By Markandey Katju
- American Tourist Allegedly Killed By Isolated Tribe In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
- PDP, NC, Congress Forming Alliance On Pakistan’s Direction: BJP
- Should Rahul Gandhi Say He Is Not A PM Candidate?
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- P Chidambaram Slams Modi On Demonetisation, Says Govt Destroyed MSMEs
- BCCI CEO Rahul Johri Cleared In Sexual Harassment Case
- Bihar Shelter Home Caretaker Who Taught Girls Soliciting, Arrested
- Odisha Sports Secy Throws Out Journalist From Press Meet
- It Doesn't Befit The PM To Abuse Political Opponents: Manmohan Singh
- Nehru Too Was Ill In His Last Years In Office: BJP On Demand For Goa CM’s Resignation
- Woman Cooks Ex-Boyfriend’s Body, Serves To Construction Workers In Traditional Dish
- India's Tour Of Australia, 1st T20I: Virat Kohli & Co Lose Rain-Hit Opener By 4 Runs