Hindutva Jihad: 'If They Kill One Hindu, 100 Will Be...'
A video purportedly showing BJP's controversial Loksabha MP from Gorakhpur, Yogi Adityanath, making incendiary comments has brought the focus back on the BJP's Hindutva agenda and the attempts to polarise people on religious and communal lines.
In the video, which is undated, and is said to be made during the campaign for 2009 Loksabha elections, Adityanath is shown and heard saying first that he was very concerned about a court directive to Uttar Pradesh government to investigate why Hindu girls were going [eloping] with Muslim men.
He goes on to say that later he heard about an appeal by a Muslim man from Gorakhpur that while elsewhere in Uttar Pradesh Hindu girls might be eloping with Muslim men, in Gorakhpur it is the Muslim girls who end up in Hindu households. At this point the assembled crowd of men cheer wildly.
He talks about converting people to Hinduism and then says, "wo agar 1 Hindu baalikaa ko le jaayenge to kam se kam 100 Muslim baalikaaon ko... ["If they take one Hindu girl away, there will be at least 100 that we will..."] and then he pauses, as the crowd cheers and completes his sentence.
He does not just stop there and goes on to say, "agar vo ek Hindu ko maarenge to 100 ko hum bhi...[If they kill one Hindu, there will be 100 that we" and pauses, as the gathered crowd shouts: "maarenge [kill]"
"We will return whatever they do 100 folds, with interest," he is heard saying.
On being asked about this speech, he refused to confirm or deny it and said it was the media's responsibility to find out the autheticity of any video before showing it.
In the run up to the assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, while the BJP removed the controversial 'Love Jihad' from its resolution in a party meeting in Vrindavan last week, various Hindutva outfits and leaders continue to rake up the subject.
- With Ally Troubles, BJP Needs Some Soul-Searching Ahead Of Lok Sabha Polls
- Chief Justice Recuses From Hearing Plea On Rao's Appointment As Interim CBI Chief
- Fugitive Businessman Mehul Choksi Surrenders Indian Passport In Antigua
- We Have A Settled And Balanced Team That Will Be Competitive Anywhere: Sachin Tendulkar
- Photo Feature | Wagah Of The East
- Liberal Beats Of Mumbai Dance Bars: Social Progress, Morality And Women
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- Act Like A Woman, Stay In Your Limits: NSUI District President Threatens Woman
- J&K: Two Militants Killed In Budgam, Encounter Still Underway
- Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Abandons Operation To Retrieve Body Of Dead Miner
- Wife Of Injured Karnataka Congress MLA Threatens To Sue JN Ganesh Over Alleged 'Brawl'
- Congress Uses BR Ambedkar Only For Votes, Says Rajnath Singh In Nagpur Rally
- 39% Increase In Wealth Of India's Top 1% Rich; 3% For Bottom-Half Of Population: Oxfam Study
- Bollywood Actress Robbed, Assaulted By 'Thak Thak' Gang In Delhi
- BJP Leader, Son Assaulted And Looted In Madhya Pradesh