Has The Congress Miscalculated?
Swapan Dasgupta in the Telegraph:
...The ‘civil society’ that Anna represented was the influential metropolitan middle class, many of whom were PLUs. Ramdev’s support base was drawn primarily from B, C and D category towns and lacked either clout or glamour. The English-language media was openly contemptuous of his mission, portraying it as a variant of another Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh-sponsored gau rakshan show. There was not a single Bollywood star to keep company of the relatively unknown religious figures that graced Ramdev’s dais. Even Anna was in two minds over being present on the stage. Each of the sadhus may have had a following of lakhs but this was not the power elite Delhi knew. To them, it was an assembly of obscurantists.
The scepticism of the PLUs contrasted starkly with the earnestness with which the Hindi channels dealt with the Ramdev phenomenon. To their viewership, Ramdev was a venerated figure and not someone whose raw understanding of economics was worthy of mockery.
The sharp class divide was unmistakable. The last occasion I witnessed this was the Ayodhya movement. Till L.K. Advani’s rath yatra in 1990, cosmopolitan India treated the fuss over Ram’s birthplace with sneering contempt. It was blind to the raw emotions unleashed in the hinterland, a phenomenon that was dismissed as ‘false consciousness’.
Read on at The Telegraph
- How Modi-Shah Arithmetic Proved Opposition Calculus Wrong
- Naresh Goyal Stopped From Leaving India, MHA Issues Lookout Notice
- 'Minorities Were Deceived By Those Who Practiced Vote Bank Politics, Have To Win Their Trust': Narendra Modi At NDA Meet
- 'Drama': BJP Mocks Mamata Banerjee For Offering To Quit CM Post
- ICC CWC 2019, Warm-Up: India Suffer Six-Wicket Defeat Against New Zealand
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- After Intel Reports On ISIS Boat, Kerala Coast On High Alert
- Over 700 People Homeless After Heavy Rain Lashes Tripura
- Removed From WhatsApp Group For Questioning Poll Performance: Lamba Slams Kejriwal
- Ex-village Head, Who Campaigned For Smriti Irani, Shot Dead In Amethi
- Impressed With PM's Glorious Win, Muslim Woman Names Newborn 'Narendra Modi'
- Anurag Kashyap Mentions Rape Threats To Daughter While Congratulating PM Modi
- MP Congress Worker Shaves Head After Losing Bet To BJP Worker
- Once A Decorated Striker, Bhaichung Bhutia Yet To Dribble Past Political Opponents And Score