Google’s Transparency Report: Fight for the Future Responds
Google’s latest transparency report reveals that copyright holders are taking down over 250,000 URL’s*, more than the total for all of 2009.
Even more troubling, these numbers include cases where companies abused copyright to silence legitimate speech: criticism of their products, for example.
“Copyright law is insanely out of date– it’s even illegal for kids to lip sync pop songs on Youtube.” said Fight for the Future’s Holmes Wilson, “Worse, we know there are many cases where companies have abused copyright law to silence legitimate criticism and political speech.”
“Beastie Boy Adam Yauch (MCA) got sued days after his death for a sample he used decades ago,” said Wilson, ”Today’s young artists are more likely to live in fear of copyright law than think they will benefit from it– and these are the people copyright was intended to support.”
Examples of copyright holders overstepping their ownership online include cases like Brian Kamer, whose video was taken from YouTube, shown on The Jay Leno Show without his permission, and subsequently removed from YouTube with a copyright claim from Jay Leno’s parent company NBC Universal.
Kamer’s open letter to Jay Leno has gone viral.
Released by Fight for the Future which is a project of the Center for Rights, a nonprofit working to expand the internet's power for good
For India, the latest report available is still that for January - June 2011, released last December
- Exit Poll Results: BJP To Win Big In Maharashtra, Haryana; Congress' Dry Spell To Continue
- 'Stop Attempts To Destabilise India Or...: Rajnath Warns Pakistan
- India To Sign Kartarpur Corridor Pact On Oct 23, Asks Pak To Reconsider $20 Fee
- In Kashmir, Freedom From Detention Comes At The Cost Of Silence On Article 370
- India v South Africa, Ranchi Test: IND Close In On Series Sweep
- When Asked To Bend, We Turned To Kafka, George Orwell
- Rape Survivors Experience Health Problems For Years After Traumatic Episode
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- Maharashtra, Haryana Record Over 60% Turnout As Polling Concludes
- Artillery Strike On Pak Consistent With India's Policy Of Rapid Retribution
- 'We Will Enter Pakistan If It Continues To...': J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik
- Kerala Bypolls: Heavy Rains Play Spoilsport As Voter Turnout Falls To 58%
- If Comedy Offends Somebody, Do More Comedy: Vir Das
- India Slams Pakistan For Stopping Postal Mail Service
- ISL: Bengaluru FC 0-0 NorthEast United | Gyan Fails To Make The Difference
- WATCH: Bavuma 'Dances' To The Tune Of Debutant Nadeem In Ranchi