Google’s Transparency Report: Fight for the Future Responds
Google’s latest transparency report reveals that copyright holders are taking down over 250,000 URL’s*, more than the total for all of 2009.
Even more troubling, these numbers include cases where companies abused copyright to silence legitimate speech: criticism of their products, for example.
“Copyright law is insanely out of date– it’s even illegal for kids to lip sync pop songs on Youtube.” said Fight for the Future’s Holmes Wilson, “Worse, we know there are many cases where companies have abused copyright law to silence legitimate criticism and political speech.”
“Beastie Boy Adam Yauch (MCA) got sued days after his death for a sample he used decades ago,” said Wilson, ”Today’s young artists are more likely to live in fear of copyright law than think they will benefit from it– and these are the people copyright was intended to support.”
Examples of copyright holders overstepping their ownership online include cases like Brian Kamer, whose video was taken from YouTube, shown on The Jay Leno Show without his permission, and subsequently removed from YouTube with a copyright claim from Jay Leno’s parent company NBC Universal.
Kamer’s open letter to Jay Leno has gone viral.
Released by Fight for the Future which is a project of the Center for Rights, a nonprofit working to expand the internet's power for good
For India, the latest report available is still that for January - June 2011, released last December
- Modi Storms Delhi Citadel Again
- Right or Wrong, It’s Only Narendra Modi Who Matters
- NDA’s TsuNamo Leaves Mahagathbandhan In Ruins In Uttar Pradesh, Bihar
- Should Rahul Gandhi Resign As Congress President Now?
- Chief Of Al-Qaeda Kashmir Unit Zakir Musa Trapped After Encounter In South Kashmir
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mahagathbandhan No Match To Narendra Modi's BJP
- Live Updates: 'We Need To Take Everybody Along For The Welfare Of Country,' Says PM Modi
- World Leaders Congratulate Prime Minister Narendra Modi On Winning Second Term
- Congress Working Committee To Decide: Rahul Gandhi On His Resignation
- In The Middle Of Saffron Storm, Punjab Stands Firm With Congress
- BJP-Sena Juggernaut Runs Over Congress-NCP In Maharashtra
- Amethi Snaps Its 39-Year-Old Ties With Gandhi Family
- Looking Back: 10 Greatest Cricket World Cup Matches