Gadkari's Lawyers Cite 'Faking News' Against Kejriwal
Media houses have often fallen prey to oh-so-clever spoof news sites. One burning example is that of the online version of the Chinese Communist Party's official newspaper which took the US satirical website, the Onion, a little too seriously. The People's Daily ran a 55-page photo spread of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un who had been declared The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012.
And now, such lampooning sites seem to have made their presence felt in the Indian jusicial system as well.
On Tuesday May 27, arguing against Prashant Bhushan who is representing AAP president Arvind Kejriwal in the defamation case, former BJP President Nitin Gadkari’s lawyers told the court that Prashant Bhushan was planning to teach law to all the judges of this country by offering free home tuitions.
Senior advocate Pinky Anand claimed that this had been reported by a news site.
The counsel referred to the news to show that statements, such as an AAP leaders saying that the magistrate who sent Kejriwal to jail needed to be taught law all over again, were contemptuous.
It so turned out that the new site under question happened to be a spoof news site, Faking News.
Reporting the incident, Firstpost said that, "There have been earlier occasions when reports by Faking News were reported as true news by some mainstream media outlets, but this is the first time they have made it to a court hearing as a piece of legal evidence, thanks to Gadkari’s team."
The TOI reported: The lawyer representing Gadkari withdrew the submission in court, as an "inadvertent mistake".
- Karnataka Crisis Continues, No Trust Vote Today, Speaker Adjourns House Till Monday
- Karnataka Crisis: Congress Moves SC Against Order On Rebel MLAs
- The Man Who Killed Phoolan Devi, Borehole 'Prince', A Miracle Cop... 12 Forgotten Newsmakers
- Priyanka Gandhi Stopped On Way To Visit Sonbhadra Clash Victims, Rahul Says BJP 'Insecure'
- Outlook-ICARE India University Rankings 2019: Top 100 Universities
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- UP Government Puts Azam Khan's Name On List Of Land Mafias; Samajwadi Party Protests
- GST Officers Arrest Man For Creating 90 Fake Firms
- Three Men Lynched In Bihar Village On Suspicion Of Cattle Theft
- Google, Facebook Secretly Track As You Watch Porn: Report
- After World Bank Drops Amaravati Project, AIIB To Take A Call Next Week
- Dhoni Not No.1 Choice For India? Let Selectors Tell Him That, Says Sehwag
- PDP Leader's Personal Security Officer Shot Dead In Kashmir's Anantnag
- Tendulkar, Donald Inducted Into International Cricket Council's Hall Of Fame