From The Archives: Mrinalini Sarabhai (1918 - 2016)
Renowned classical dancer and Padma Bhushan recipient Mrinalini Sarabhai, who was wife of father of India's space programme Dr Vikram Sarabhai, passed away today due to old age-related problems.
She was 97..
Back in July 2013, Priyadarshini Sen, while doing a piece on India's senior citizens above the age of 90 having the time of their lives, wrote about how active she was even at the age of 95:
Mrinalini Sarabhai, danseuse and director of Darpana Academy of Performing Arts in Ahmedabad, never really had the 20-30- year period to reconcile to the ageing process as she was always hyperactive. “Nowadays, short-term memory, poor vision and the death of her best friend have got her a little depressed,” says daughter Mallika. Even so, Mrinalini insists on walking to work every day to teach her students. “I get tired more easily. Otherwise, life is the same,” she says. So, what’s next on the agenda? “A small padam (lyrical number in Bharatanatyam) for my next film on my mother, where she’s also given many interviews,” says Mallika.
Genetic, biological and social factors naturally contribute to longevity, but the desire for an ‘independent existence’ matters as much. “It’s important for seniors to give vent to their ideas and feel appreciated. So a second career plan is always a good idea and keeps you free of negative thoughts,” says Nidhi Mishra. And just as dance remains the core of Mrinalini’s soul, there are others who’ve evolved in their long political and creative careers.
Also see: 10 questions with Mrinalini Sarabhai
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping Visit Ancient Sites, Attend Cultural Show During Informal Summit
- China's Support Helps Imran Khan Strut Back To Pakistan
- Can't Just Damn GST, It's Law Now: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Soul Of Cricket Reforms Has Become Impure: RM Lodha
- India v South Africa, Pune Test: Kohli, Bowlers Leave SA In Tatters
- Everything Is ‘Normal’ In The Wonderland That Is Kashmir
- Blaming BJP For Rot Within Won’t Help Congress
- Jadavpur Fracas Godsend For BJP, It Is Set To Crack Open Left's Citadel
- Aurat ka Dal, and 99 Other Reasons Why Not to Impose Hindi
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- PM Modi Plays The Warm Tamil Host To Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Govt's Advt In J&K Newspapers Asks People To Resume Normal Life
- Kohli 1st Indian To Score 7 Double Tons
- A 'Clerical Error' Leading To Musical Chairs In Congress' North-East Units
- Use Of Religion As Commodity, A La Baba Ramdev, Is Gross Misuse
- Postpaid Mobile Service Likely To Resume In Kashmir From Saturday
- Portrait Of A Cyanide Killer: How Kerala's Jolly Killed 6 Of A Family Meal By Meal
- Indian Premier League: Anil Kumble Named Head Coach Of Kings XI Punjab